GO!

Hannah Society ,Oregon a scam?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 10:33am PST 
I attended the Pet Expo last weekend in Portland because we are looking to adopt a rescue dog.

We came across the Hannah Society and saw a few dogs that were cute. Upon talking to the saleswoman we would have to purchase the food service and vet for $60 per month. I mentioned that we already had a dog at home and would't want to be feeding 2 dogs 2 different types of food. She said then we should get our own home dog on the service too. Not the answer I was looking for.

Then I told her that we live 6 months in Florida and take our dog with us. So we wouldnt have use of their Vet or their food delivered to Florida. She then stated that we could "opt out" of the delivery service BUT it would cost us $600 !!!!

I'm sorry but I have been thinking about this for a few days now and all I can think is that this is a money making scam getting you stuck buying their food and using their vet. They are not doing it for the love of placing dogs. I find they are no better than a pet shop, I wonder where they get the dogs from anyway.
Bottom line they are in the business of selling food, dont kid yourself, It's more like get a free dog with your food service contract!

Get a pet that needs a home, go to the humane society and avoid pet exploitation.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 12:32pm PST 
This has been discussed here before so you can read all about it if you do a search for Hannah Society. They get dogs from breeders and also are supposed to somehow work with rescues or shelters.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 5:47pm PST 
Heh, not discussed very much it seems. Looks like the thread got shut down just when some legitimate questions were being raised.smile Can't find much on the web about it either, besides their website and one review, that while it praised them also admitted to be on the lookout for such things as they may not remember to tell you the monthly care cost for puppies is $100, not $60. From what very little I could find I will just say it might be fine for people in their IMMEDIATE vicinity who do not plan on traveling or moving and who need help with matching a pet to their lives, and with food, training, and vet care. Anyone else...not so much.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 11:56am PST 
This is an old thread but after Googling Hannah, it seems to pop up with some inaccurate information. I wanted to set the record straight. I am a Hannah member. I pay a flat monthly fee for excellent all-inclusive vet care, food delivered to my apartment, and training. It's no more complicated than that. I guess the issues that people are so concerned about are the piece about pet ownership and where Hannah gets their pets.

First, the ownership thing. Yes, Hannah takes ownership on paper. They do this because it allows them to reduce the cost of vet care and to be able to deliver food. Simple as that. They don't repossess dogs. If they did, why have there been no reports of such incidents in any of the recent media coverage. It doesn't happen. It's right there in their contract. Miss a payment, get another bill. Miss several payments and, like any other service, that service is eliminated. Fail to pay completely and, again, like any other service, you will presumably get sent to collections. Does some 300lb tattooed guy with a shaven head and sunglasses show up at your house with a choke-pole and demand that you turn over the pup? No! Hannah just transfers ownership back to the family's name. Ok? Can we stop with the conspiracy theories now?

So, where does Hannah get their pets? According to Hannah, they partner with rescues, shelters, non-profits and families needing to find a new home for their pet(s). The pets that I've seen at their adoption centers have been a pretty random mix of puppies and adults, pure-breeds and mixed. But this accusation that all of Hannah's pets come from breeders is ridiculous. Anyone who has been into their adoption centers can attest to this. I seriously doubt the 3-year old, 3-legged Fox Terrier I saw last weekend was from a breeder.

Personally, I highly recommend Hannah.
[notify]
Oliver

Gotta love me !

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 3:42pm PST 
Hmm .. this new member posted about Hannah Society the same day they became a member, thats not suspicious. wink
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:43am PST 
Hi Oliver. I specifically joined so that I could respond to this thread. What is suspicious about that? I just wanted to set the record straight about a service that I think is valuable and legitimate.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 1:29pm PST 
I noticed that too Oliverlaugh out loud
It is a trend for newbies to come along & dig up zombie threads. I doubt anyone here would buy into the Hannah program. I don't let anyone tell me what to feed my dogs or what health care I must do.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 2:15pm PST 
New member, I am sure for a select few people in your area, the Hannah Society membership could *possibly* be a good deal. However, I stand by my previous...quite old...comment that for the *majority* of people, this would not be a good idea. I for one do not like the idea of giving up all legal claim to my pet...somehow I don't think having the honorific title of 'Pet Parent' is such a good exchange. Did you also realize if you adopt one of their pets, decide to enroll in their program, and already have a pet, and want them both in on the plan...you would have to first sell them your pet? So that original poster who was told they could put their original pets on the plan? They would have to sell their pet(s) to the Society first. No thanks, not my cup of tea. smile

www.hannahsociety.com

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 2:19pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 3:03pm PST 
When the 1st thread came out however many years ago, I contacted Hannah Society - which was started by the rich vet that started the Banfield vet chain.

I had never heard of them even though I live in the Portland, OR metro area and am involved in rescue.
None of the rescues I have talked to would release an animal to a company that buys and sells pets and none of the shelters I have talked to would either.

The questions I asked were given vague answers for the most part with a lot of "that is spelled out in the contract." There was a lot of "we can't say" type answers.
I have noticed they've removed quite a bit of useful info from their website.

They wouldn't tell me if they keep track of the food info for recall purposes or provide that information to the owners so the owners can keep track. I was told the bags of food are opened, the allotted portion for each owner is removed, packed up and delivered.

I guess I'm the kind of owner who doesn't want to pay a stranger to tell me what food to feed, what vet to see, what to do with the remains after the pet dies, etc.

This area is majorly into pets with independent chains, boutiques and retail chains everywhere. I don't know of any brand of food that I can't get here.
And as for the convenience of getting food delivered right to my home, when Chance was eating commercial foods I used a local company that delivered her ZiwiPeak to my door free of charge and the price was as good or better than online prices.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 6:05am PST 
It sounds odd to me. Like a dog ownership plan for people who don't know anything about dogs? I wouldn't participate...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2