GO!

Adopting from a foreign country?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '12 3:13pm PST 
I second (third) what Tanuk said, we need to take care of our own before worrying about adopting pets from other countries. I've seen what is in the South Korean shelters and frankly, you can get a much healthier version at any shelter in the US.

You don't want to get us started on our thoughts about those soldiers who want to bring back strays from the sandbox.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '12 4:40pm PST 
"Those soldiers..." Seriously? No, I don't want you to go there; even that was too much. confused Those soldiers who are risking their lives and their only comfort found in a dog was never given a second thought until it found an American soldier willing to love it.

When will we ever find the time to reach out and help someone or something else, if we don't start now. Don't guilt others into believing what you think should be done. There are still some people who are not stuck into thinking that 'we should come first', and I hope it stays that way.

Why does anyone help anyone outside of America? Why do people go to third-world countries and devote themselves to helping those who cannot help themselves? My dentist recently went on a missions trip with other dentists and doctors to a third-world country. Why did they do that? They did not have to, there are many people who could use their help here in America-and pay. They did it because they CARED. They did not limit themselves to what they saw around them in America. They reached out, and freely gave their own time and money to HELP others. Why can not those who love animals do the same? Please do not put down others just because they have a desire to do something that goes against your own personal beliefs.

flowers
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 7:52am PST 
Shouldn't 'these soldiers', who do so much for their country, have every right to bring home a dog if they want it?
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 6:42am PST 
I am complete agreement with Tanuk

*EXCEPT* in regards to "those soldiers"

Those "sandbox dogs" save the sanity of many of "those soldiers." For saving the lives of me and mine at the expense of years away from their own families and with a willingness to sacrifice their own lives I definitely think this country should honor and respect those bonds formed there. At that point it's not just about adopting a dog, it's about preserving a friendship that got human beings through what is undoubtedly through the toughest situation one can endure.

IMHO those "sandbox dogs" are as important to soldiers as the soldiers are to our country, therefor they should be held in just as high a regard.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:37am PST 
Trigger applause
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 6:30pm PST 
Well said, Twister.
[notify]
Raskol

Paddle!- Paddle!- Splash!

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 10:22am PST 
I wouldn't do it, unless I desperately, HAD TO HAVE a breed I couldn't get here.

But since my chosen breen is American born and bred, I'll have no problem finding one here. In fact there's thousands upon thousands of them waiting right now in shelters near you.

And I agree, "those" Soldiers should be able to bring home the [insert] dog. But Scooter's dad is in the military, and there were actual regulations against doing it, so maybe there's something we non-serving folks don't know that Scooter does.

Edited by author Tue May 22, '12 10:30am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 7:14pm PST 
If the soldiers want the dogs give them the dogs.

Otherwise we have plenty of homeless dogs here on this continent.

I would like to point out that historically military dogs both American and Canadian have been left behind like surplus equipment in spite of the pleading of the soldiers who handled them and who's lives they saved.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2