GO!

Dishonest? or?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 11:06am PST 
I'm going to go ahead and answer my own question with a "yeah, technically" but given the circumstance....

I'm looking for my next SD candidate. I'm dead set on a sighthound, either a Borzoi (my first choice and very strong preference) or maybe a greyhound, intentionally bred for obedience, and soundness (physically, mentally and genetically) I've come across a staghound that has been washed from a companion animal training program at a young age. Her "problems" I've determined to be from a fear period and I can work through them, I'm really hoping to get this young girl as my candidate.

I called the facility.

In order to do an adoption, out of state or otherwise, I'd have to go meet her and have an interview. Which I FULLY agree with, I'd love to meet her and give her my own personal evaluation to make sure she'd suit my needs as well. BUT I'm so far away, I can't just hop on a plane to the tune of a last min ticket of $966 to go interview and test her.

I'm thinking of asking a close friend or trainer in the area to go for the interview and evaluation for me, with all of my information so if they choose to adopt to "me" its all a truthful situation only other than me being there in person.

Would that work? When i spoke on the phone with the lady she had it seem like it wouldn't work out unless i could see the dog and go for an interview, I told her i was rather far away and it wouldn't really be possible for me. But I don't want the rescue to pass over a potentially great home or me miss out on a really great candidate over the only thing standing in our way is distance and not being able to make it there for an interview.

What would you do?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 11:23am PST 
If I was truly interested in the dog & was planning on using him for SD work I would make the trip my self. The dog may pass all your tests, but what if you don't "click" together? I don't see it as being dishonest (what you want to do) but I can see how the rescue would want to meet you personally so they can make the best choice for the dog. Good luck..I hope you come up with a solution..that is a lot of money to lay out for a "maybe" dog, so I understand your conundrum.
[notify]

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 11:28am PST 
yeah, like i said I totally agree with the program on insisting an interview, and I would love to meet her myself. BUT there isn't really any way i can possibly do that frown
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 11:42am PST 
If you really can't go meet her yourself, I would pass and look for another candidate. You're not just looking for a good pet; you're looking for a service dog. Unless your substitute evaluator is a service dog trainer, I would not farm out the decision to anyone else.
[notify]

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 11:50am PST 
Yes I fully believe in this person's capability to pick a solid candidate for me, I know her well.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 12:08pm PST 
Completely dishonest.

No I wouldn't do it.

Not to mention you really don't think they'll figure it out? Whoever is going for you is going to have to lie throughout, you don't think that any inconsistencies might pop up? What if they ask for identification during the interview? Or after from you for the paperwork? What about follow up? Or the internet in general? If you participate in any sort of social media they could easily discover it wasn't you there, at any time, and per the terms of the adoption contract that could leave them able to take the dog right back no matter how long he'd been with you, how much training you'd done with him or how badly you need him.

If you feel in your heart he's the right dog then do right by him, doing things the right way, and secure his future with you legitimately. If you can't or are unwilling to then you really should move on and search for a dog that wouldn't force you to twist ethics and legalities.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 12:43pm PST 
I'll put it this way - if I adopted a dog to someone who did that, when I showed up to check on the dog a few months later and found out what happened, I would reclaim the dog at your friend's expense - since it would be her signature on the adoption contract.
[notify]
Kenzie

I'm a Ninja

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 12:44pm PST 
I agree with Trigger. It's not a good idea. And I believe it's important for you to meet the dog prior to an adoption. No one can truly be a surrogate for you. If you can't make the trip then maybe it's just not meant to be.
[notify]
Kenzie

I'm a Ninja

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 12:45pm PST 
Ember, I fully agree. I would do the same.
[notify]

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 12:50pm PST 
thanks guys! thats what i was thinking too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2