GO!

How Common is this Really in Rescue?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:13pm PST 
I am currently watching the program "It's Me or the Dog"
Admittedly, I rarely watch any of these "training" sort shows, but there's really nothing else on right now laugh out loud

I'm about 10 minutes into the Weimaraner episode.
(For those who are unaware, 4 Weims in a house. Owner is head of Weim rescue)

Now clearly these dogs are not being cared for properly in the beginning - NO exercise for this breed???? Really???

Yet I would almost put money on their adoption requirements having exercise, positive only training etc. etc.

I've got a personal example of this with a foster who had way more than she could handle. No fence for the yard, dogs on "rotation" out of their crate for short intervals at a time.

Just wondering how common you think the double standard is?

Prompted by both the "difficulty adopting" thread and this episode.....

Decidedly not much of a fan of the program and have since relocated upstairs, but my question is still valid.
Edit: Got the number of Weims wrong

Edited by author Fri Mar 9, '12 5:21pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:53pm PST 
I remember seeing that episode and was actually pretty apalled that someone with such little knowledge of the breed could be heading up rescue.

The working dog and Malamute rescues I support are not like that and all take proper care of their chosen breed. I cannot imagine that kind of clueless attitude being common... I hope not.

That Victoria Stilwell kinda annoys me but I do watch the show if I find it chanel surfing, and it usually ends with me yelling at the tv lol.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 6:02pm PST 
I didn't see that particular one, but there was another rescue show on Animal Planet where I was APPALLED by how fat the rescuer's personal pets were. I get that they probably see starving dogs every day and don't want that to happen to their pets, but COME ON. It was so obvious. People involved in rescue should be educated enough to know what healthy dog looks like.
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 11:39pm PST 
though i had difficultes with rescues when i was looking for a beagle to call my own. All the beagle and hound rescues i visited had excellent facilites that were clean and the dogs were well cared for. There were some huge beagles and some skinny beagles. This was probably due to owner neglect though. Since hey fed on par with instructions and the bigger dogs were on weight management food. The rescues i went too had some volunteer dog trainers trying to teach the dogs basic commands like sit, stay, come, their names. The ones i went to were either on a large lot of land with a house where the dogs were separate from family pets or a ranch.

But in the end i got denied for being too young and being a renter. But it was okay. Since one of the rescues i visited actually had my dog Jake but he was under a different name and I had just missed him. Unfortunately the person they gave him too threw him in the pound when he took out a door instead of taking him back. Lucky for me and Jake I was there and i was in front of someone from the rescue that was coming to retrieve him.

Anyway the rescues i've dealt with weren't anything like you describe. They really care for the dogs and want to see them go to good homes even if sometimes the requirements seem a little unfair to the person applying. But i could see where they're coming from not wanting to give to renters or someone who's barely 21.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 6:41am PST 
Jackson, I thought the same exact thing. How could someone run a breed rescue with little to no knowledge about the breed?? Especially with something as basic as exercise. To me it made her look like one of those "rescues" that is just a cover up for hoarding (even though the # of dogs she had wasn't too atrocious)

Edited by author Sat Mar 10, '12 6:43am PST

[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 12:27pm PST 
I definitely agreed when I watched the show. (I'm actually a huge fan of the show.) Of course the owner kind of used the excuse 'I'm too busy running the rescue!' Which I can see, sometimes the owners of these dogs get so caught up and emotionally invested in helping the other dogs that they start to 'neglect' the ones that already have a home: their own. And when you constantly see dogs that have really terrible problems, I imagine it's easy to look at your own dogs and go 'well, they aren't REALLY that bad..." Doesn't excuse them, but I can see why it happens often.

At the end of the weim show, that's exactly what VS told her: you have to spend less time at your rescue and more time working with your own dogs.

Edited by author Sat Mar 10, '12 12:28pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 8:55pm PST 
Some rescues are glorified hoarders. They probably turn up their noses at some potential adopters, while the dogs in their care are never walked. I think walks are one of the things dogs need most other than food, shelter and water.

I probably would not qualify to adopt one of these dogs. I definatly have the experince, and lifestyle to be a good match for a sporting breed.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 10:26pm PST 
This sort of thing happens. It does.

Luckily, there are many entirely caring rescues out there.
Golden Gate Basset was a rescue I looked at for, gosh, 2 years? I didn't end up adopting through them, but they love their hounds. It's foster-based. They really make an effort to get the Bassets the surgeries that are needed, as well as the exercise to slim down some of the hounds.

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d6a 63794e446b304e44553d0d0a&blogview=true&campaign=blog_playback_link

Slideshow of some of the dogs from 2011. =D

I think there's a weird misconception about 'exercise' with some people. As in "I get tired after a walk around the block! That should be good!" Nu-uh.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 10:02am PST 
I think the rescues in our area are rather lacking. The "extreme" breed rescues, like huskies, seem to be on top of things, but not the generic breed rescues. There's a Weim rescue here and they basically started a dog daycare facility so they could let their Weims play for free, regardless of desire to play. So you go to this daycare and at any time there's at least 5 Weims in the play group, all of varying ages and temperaments. Weims are not exactly what most of us would consider group dog play material, and yet she shoves them out there every day.

There was another woman with a rescue who basically kept all of her dogs, never seems to ever adopt any out. She crates and rotates them, they are never walked or allowed to meet each other. But, she tried to send them to our daycare once a week each. It was a disaster. Dogs who were not socialized and only got exercise that one day a week. We had to ask her to leave.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:43am PST 
I haven't run across a double standard in my experience. I have thoroughly checked out rescues before I've volunteered with them, though. I have fostered, but I set limits based on how well I can care for the foster dog...and how well I can meet the needs of my own dog at the same time. Right now that means fostering only one dog at a time. Some day when I have more space and (I wish!) more time, I'd love to foster more dogs.

I can see how it's possible. I know many animal lovers, and it can be very hard to set limits when you know that can result in the death of a dog or cat. Just one more...can quickly become more than a person can handle. I can't help but have compassion for hoarders, though I don't condone their behavior. They almost always feel that what they can provide is better than the alternative which is all too often, death. I've been at kennels on the day the van pulls up. I've resisted the urge to grab as many of the beautiful, healthy, trained greyhounds marked for removal that I could and just run. (That was long before greyhound rescues were as coordinated and sucessful as they are now. Back then NO ONE was doing a darn thing about it in my area.) The urge to just do something NOW! without thinking if it's more than you can handle...it's a human emotional reaction to watching so many animals' lives wasted without so much as a second thought. Good intentions don't always end well. cry
[notify]