GO!

What is the deal with Rescues & Shelters?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Ginger

Feed me.

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 12:58pm PST 
People also need to remember that not every shelter and rescue are the same. Some are much, much better than others! The poor dogs have to rely on how much the people in charge care, and some just don't care that much.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 5:45pm PST 
So true, and that's going to be the case with anything that is run by humans. wink
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 8:49am PST 
Interesting responses. The rescues and shelters I work with certainly do not operate with the assumption that rescue gets dibs. In fact, I tend to believe that gives rescue a bad name.

We get the calls on the unadoptable dogs, the dogs on the euth list either for behavioral issues, not showing well in the shelter, medical issues or the dogs that have just plain been there too long. In other words, we take the dogs nobody wants, the ones that were to be killed, we are often their last and best hope.

Ash was one of those dogs and many of my fosters have been those dogs too. The shelter can't risk adopting these dogs out, so we take them and assume responsibility both financially and medically.
[notify]

The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 10:06am PST 
Guest,
Sometimes the shelter doesn't want to tell you what rescue the dog went to because it is now safe and there are others still waiting for someone to save their lives.

Not always, but sometimes.

They probably knew, or someone did, but just didn't delve into which one. I'm sorry.
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 10:13am PST 
Twister: RE varying adoption fees. Please keep in mind that rates for veterinary care differ tremendously by region. If you're dealing with transport rescue, that will ofcourse vary based on what medical care needs to be performed either before the dog is transported (they may need health certificates for interstate travel) or after the dog is rec'd by the rescue.

This really differs so much from state to state, rescue to rescue (is it a BSR? transport based? do they only pull from local AC? foster homes only?) that general statements will have more exceptions than rules. If you're interested in volunteering, it is normal for it to take awhile to locate a good rescue that you can work with. Best of luck to you in your search.

I can't even get started on the difference in shelters...some are downright awful, others are struggling against the tide to do as much as they can for the most dogs that they can...
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 11:49am PST 
That was how I thought rescues were run, with them pulling the dogs no one wanted and were about to be euthanized.
Prices do vary with everything across the country, so I can see that factoring into the costs.
Our local shelter has changed hands three times in just the past few years. I don't know the people who are currently running it; but the one's who were in charge before made a ton of changes, and stopped many of the animals from being euthanized.

Thank you for the responses, I really do like learning more about rescues. I grew up overseas so I don't know much about how they are run. Things in Taiwan are much different, but many are becoming more conscious on how to treat animals there. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2