GO!

Agreed to adopting her, but now what???

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bee

Looking forward- to furever with- you!

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:56pm PST 
I'm happy...make that excited and anxious and nervous. I've never adopted a rescue before, definitely not one from an organization that's around 2 years and has my heart. Be
Bee will come to her home on Sunday and I feel like I have no clue what to do/questions to ask. What if I freeze up and they change their mind? LOL

Other than the type of food she eats and hows often she eats...and I have no idea how to make her feel comfy without being overbearing. (I don't want to be bitten or my l.o. to be bitten...she was a very calm girl when I met her what if the demeanor changes when I open my house to her...is she going to like us.) Should I set up a vet visit even though she is current on shots?

Is there a different forum that I should post this under?

Oh my, the things I have not thought of...that I am thinking of as I type out my ramblings. thinking

Anyone else have these feelings when their furkid came home? relieved now that I have gotten this out. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 9:05pm PST 
I took both Ginger and Bruno for vet checkups as soon as I could after adopting, even though they were healthy. It helps to have a baseline and to establish a relationship with a vet clinic right away, so they have your info already on file if there's an emergency later. Some places even do a free checkup for new clients.

Do you have all the supplies for a new dog? Bed, crate (if you plan to use one) chew toys, play toys, bowls, collar/leash/harness whatevers, grooming supplies, etc?

You can ask her caretaker what she likes- what games she likes to play, what tricks she knows, what foods she really likes, etc.

Good luck with your new pooch!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 6:05am PST 
A friend of mine adopted a dog from the local rescue who was given a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, the rescue actually forgot to test her for heartworms. After they adopted her, they took her to the vet and found out she was heartworm positive.

Mistakes do happen.

And since the vet visit was so soon after adoption, it was clear the dog was positive while at the rescue center. Had they waited to do the vet visit, they wouldn't have known when the dog got heartworms. And thankfully, the rescue is wonderful. They apologized for the mix up and helped with the treatment cost.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 7:47am PST 
It doesn't matter wether you're adopting from a rescue, or buying a puppy from a high quality breeder...it's always a good idea to get the pup asap to a vet you know and trust. Like another poster said, it's good to get a baseline, but also just in case there are any health issues going on. You need to know about anything like that immediately.

Good rescues and good breeders will want to know if your vet finds anything. It could be something that effects a whole litter, or the other pups exposed to yours in the shelter/foster setting.

Good luck with your new best friend!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 4:50pm PST 
I agree with the other posters.It is never a bad idea to introduce yourself and your new dog to the vet you choose to use. The only time we were able to not do that was with our last pup Kai,his breeder used the same vet that we do and was able to ease some of our concerns in dealing with her and also vouched for us with her helping us get on the waiting list for a puppy. When we took him in for his follow-up with the vet,we met the breeder there with the siblings that weren't old enough to be shipped to their new homes and they just changed his folder from her name and Male #2 to our name and his new one Kai. Otherwise he just as the rest of mine bought,rescued,free to good home,how ever my pets ended up with me they met the vet usually within 48 hours.
[notify]
Bee

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 7:30am PST 
Okay, calling the vet now to set up an appointment.
I've bought a crate(I was told I didn't really need it b/c she's likes to be around people and is fully house trained), bought the same type of food they give her, a leash and gentle leader (although she says she walks really well on a leash, I thought the gentle leader may help my little one learn to walk with her.) Food & water bowls. smile

Thanks for listening to my rambling. LOL I love dogster forums! cloud 9
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 3:56pm PST 
SO?
How is it going?
[notify]
Bee

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 6:45pm PST 
Just wantedi to update:
Things are going quite well. My little one loves her and she loves him. My l.o. loves to hug and be close to me and now he loves hanging around Bee. She is such a sweet girl, very responsive to commands and we got a good bill of health from the vet. smile
So happy I found her and my husband even says that he really likes her too. dog walk
[notify]
Bee

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 6:46pm PST 
Just wantedi to update:
Things are going quite well. My little one loves her and she loves him. My l.o. loves to hug and be close to me and now he loves hanging around Bee. She is such a sweet girl, very responsive to commands and we got a good bill of health from the vet. smile
So happy I found her and my husband even says that he really likes her too. dog walk
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 5:26am PST 
wave So glad things are going well.big grin It sounds like she "just fits" with your family.way to go Thank-you for adopting her.applause
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2