GO!

My dog has bitten again! Should he be rehomed or not?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 11:39pm PST 
Milton, it sounds like for the most part, the dog is attacking in certian situations- such as wit treats under the bed etc, which sounds more like resource guarding than actual rage syndrome. It also sounds like the dog is awake and aware of the situation before the attacks, which isn't typical of Cocker rage thinking
[notify]
Smokey Schaefer

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 12:34am PST 
This is really serious and a explosive situation that could erupt at any moment. If I were you I would try to find a rescue that would take on your furry butt and they would be able to re-train and re-home him.

Having an infant in this type of situation is just crazy and dangerious, do look up on the net no kill rescues, they could probably best help you in this situation. Don't have the dog put down please.frown
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 6:27am PST 
Smokey,
You yourself said this is a dangerous and explosive situation.
What do you recommend this person do if (A) No rescue will take the dog (B)A rescue may take him but the owner has to keep the dog until the rescue has space.(C) He bites again in the meantime or with a infant/small child management is too difficult. Should they rehome the child to save the dog? Will you take it until a rescue can decide?
As much as I too,hate the idea of euthanasia,the dog is out of control and unpredictable. Everyday the dog and child are in the home together there is a risk that child will be attacked. Proper management of this dog to say the least will be extremely difficult.
Not everyone with a small child has the resources to hire a behaviorist. I can't imagine too many private citizens willing to take the risk of bringing a dog like this into their homes and to not disclose the dogs history is putting some unsuspecting new home and family members at extreme risk and no one in good conscience would do that. As much as euthanasia should be only as a last resort,and is a very sad end to this situation,it may be the only option for the safety of this family. I too,hate the idea but it realistically may be the only option so please do not criticize the option unless you are willing to take the dog yourself until a rescue willing to take it on can be found, The dog needs to be separated from that child ASAP before something tragic happens.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 5:23pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I have done some research into cocker rage and am certain Conker does not show any of the characteristics associated with that condition. However, i am so far unable to find a reputable shelter that is willing to take on such a dog. The general sensus from them seems to be that they already have dogs without a bite history that they are struggling to find suitable homes for so they just dont want him or the risks he brings with him.

If however, anyone telling me euthenasia should not be an option would like to take him on and are in the UK please feel free to let me know as Conkers situation is starting to look bleak now I am running out of alternative options.

Thanks again for all your messages
[notify]
Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 9:22pm PST 
I am a dog lover through and through, but children come first. That dog would have been out of there before the sunset on the day he reacted toward the baby. Please do what you have to do. Give him a great last few hours - all his favorite foods, etc. This is not the time to worry about a few calories, then take him to be euthanized, preferably at a facility where you can stay with him. Tough, I know, but you are out of choices. My heart goes out ot you, but I'd rather offer condolences to you on the loss of a dog than a person.
[notify]
Chester (The- Mad Little- Turnip

Tag.....I'm It!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 1:58am PST 
I don't think owning a dog for seven years and persevering through his aggression, getting it under control until it was re-exacerbated by their growing baby is shirking responsibilities. This was a puppy who was dumped by multiple people until the OP took him on, has stood by him, and clearly now is in a difficult situation.

OP, I am a Cocker person who has had past involvement with one of the most admired Cocker rescues here in the States, and continue to take on Cockers happily through the all breed rescue I am a part of. Here, the general Cocker rescue approach is to not take on aggressive Cockers as it can be quite a problem, particularly given that most want Cockers as family pets. Unfortunately, when lesser bred the temperament of this breed can be extremely unstable. He's not at a good age....too old to likely find an experienced dog lover willing to take him on, too young (they can live quite a long time) to relegate him to a more restricted existence.

I feel the plight of your predicament and am tremendously sorry for your situation. If you have any questions, please feel welcome to ask.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 12:49pm PST 
It sounds like they have tried to help their dog, they have come on here to get advice (that in itself is a lot more then most will do), they have tried that advice; they are at their wit's end...and all you can do is say they are shirking their responsibility? Their child is in danger!naughty I don't care if it is a Chihuahua or a Mastiff, a dog that bites children should not ever take precedence over that child!! Yes, they have a responsibility to their dog...but as parents, their first responsibility goes to their child! I agree with what they said, for those of you who get mad that they feel their only option now is euthanasia...adopt the dog yourself, or don't say anything at all. Rant over. I have to go wake my k4 class up now.wave
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 1:19pm PST 
Wow..a bit judgmental! Did you even read the OP? They have worked with this dog & done the best they can. I think some support is more in order than condemnation.
hug To you OP as you struggle with a very difficult situation & decision.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 1:22pm PST 
Umm... Having behavioral issues addressed by a professional can certainly help, but it doesn't necessarily mean the dog will be safe in a family environment. Just sayin'. And depending on where one lives, it can be next to impossible to find someone with the appropriate credentials and experience.

Behavior modification also takes time... Time in which a dog who bites will have to share space with a child that is a trigger for it's aggression - a very dangerous proposition, if you ask me.

It's a terrible situation for anyone to be in, and I wish the OP well, whatever the outcome. hug

Edited by author Mon Mar 12, '12 1:32pm PST

[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 2:30pm PST 
Please, just keep your baby's safety first. Even if your dog's behaviour can be helped I would not ever trust him to be safe around chidren. I hope you also consider that there are a lot of good dogs out there that need homes but will be PTS because there aren't enough good homes. Your dog has had a few chances already and a loving home for a while while many other dogs will not get that. He still has problems with aggression despite that though and it is very sad but he might not be the best canidate for adoption.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4