GO!

DNA Test

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 11:15am PST 
(had no clue where to put this....)

We adopted Shiloh from a no kill shelter.I think they said she was a Doberman. We just call her a German Shepherd mix.

I've noticed a lot of people on here get their dogs DNA tested. I read a bunch of bad reviews online about how it doesn't really work. How did it work out for you?

if it really does work, I'd love to find out what she is mixed with!
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 12:10pm PST 
I did the Wisdom Panel for Fenrir and personally I was not impressed.

25% Old English Sheepdog
25% Chow Chow
14.48% Shetland Sheepdog
10.16% Silky Terrier
7.93% Sealyham Terrier
6.37% Irish Setter
3.54% Manchester Terrier

Maybe it's just me being cynical but I can't see any of those breeds in him. I know some other people have been very happy with their results though so who knows.

I agree Shiloh looks more German Shepherd than anything.

Edited by author Sun Dec 11, '11 12:14pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 12:28pm PST 
Well.... Bunny's results were:

Pug (?!) 37-74 percent
Cocker Spaniel at least 20 percent
Beagle 10-20 percent
Pomeranian 10-20 percent
Chow 10-20 percent

Cocker Spaniel, Pom and Chow had all been mentioned in people's breed mix guesses and Beagle doesn't seem that far fetched, so I don't know what to think about the Pug. He kind of has the Pug personalityshrug
[notify]

Macy

Back Off! I- really don't- like strangers!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 1:32pm PST 
I had a Wisdom Panel run on Macy earlier this year. The first results were Russell Terrier/Rat Terrier cross. I wasn't buying it. She's not the right size or color and has a very thick double coat. I contacted Mars by email, and their geneticist reviewed the results and called me personally about the new results. The 2nd time they said 50% Russell Terrier and 25% each Beagle and Husky. Um, maybe, but I think the shelter's call (not sure if the man who surrendered her said this or they guessed) of Sheltie mix looks at least as likely. So now when anybody asks about her breed I just say I really don't know – nice safe answer!
[notify]
Macy

Back Off! I- really don't- like strangers!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 1:32pm PST 
I had a Wisdom Panel run on Macy earlier this year. The first results were Russell Terrier/Rat Terrier cross. I wasn't buying it. She's not the right size or color and has a very thick double coat. I contacted Mars by email, and their geneticist reviewed the results and called me personally about the new results. The 2nd time they said 50% Russell Terrier and 25% each Beagle and Husky. Um, maybe, but I think the shelter's call (not sure if the man who surrendered her said this or they guessed) of Sheltie mix looks at least as likely. So now when anybody asks about her breed I just say I really don't know – nice safe answer!
[notify]
Echo

mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 2:02pm PST 
I did Wisdom Panel(cheek swab) on Echo and was pretty satisfied with her results. She got: Italian Greyhound(can totally see this), Pekingese(can see this in her face), German Shepherd(surprisingly, I can see this at times in her stance), and Cocker Spaniel(can't see this). All in all, I would definately do a DNA test on Twister if I could afford it(I had gotten Echo's test off of ebay, but good luck finding a decent priced one there now!).
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 4:21pm PST 
I did a Widsom Panel on all 4 of my dogs.

Libby-Lab, Dashaund mix (totally believable)
Mr. Pibbs- Am. Staff., Mastiff, American Bulldog (yep)
Angel-Poodle, Cocker Spaniel (spot on)
Timmy-Heinz 57 with a concentration on Golden Retriever and Rottweiller (HUH?!?)

I felt very comfortable with the results.
[notify]
Hope *adopted

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 4:51pm PST 
We did Wisdom Panel on Hope and are very happy with the results. All of them had been guessed by myself, family, vet, and Dogsters just in different combinations. We can see each of these breeds in her appearance as well as her personality.
Australian Shepherd
Golden Retriever
Rottweiler
Poodle
Basset Hound
These are in order from highest to lowest percentage.
[notify]
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 5:57pm PST 
If it is cheap, I might try it out. With my luck, they will say she is a German Shepherd x Pug mix , or something nuts like that. XD
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 7:42pm PST 
I think the concept of a breed DNA test is interesting, but before spending money on one, I want to know what they're actually looking at. Humans and chimpanzees, two different species, share at least 95% of their DNA. Dogs are all the same species, just different varieties. How much difference can there actually be between say, Pug DNA and Great Dane DNA? How many genes, and how many alleles ("Versions" of genes) are they looking at? Then think about how many different dog breeds once existed but no longer exist, and how many current dog breeds had common ancestors, so the same allele (for a merle coat for example) might be found in Dachshunds and Australian Shepherds. What makes the test "know" that the dog being tested was really Australian Shepherd? Maybe the dog is a Dachshund mix instead. The mutation which makes dogs sensitive to ivermectin is found in many breeds. So, how do they know if a dog is part Collie, or part Sheltie? I have a really hard time believing that a DNA test can so precisely determine the breed make up, and even do it be percentage not just "these are the breeds which are likely present somewhere in your dog's ancestry."

If somebody knows the actual genetics used in these tests, I'd love to hear it!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2