GO!

What are your views on adopting/dealing with shelters?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 10:33pm PST 
Due to some bad experience, I will never adopt from the shelter in my city. I was just wondering how others felt about their animal control shelters...

Tia (cat) is the last pet I adopted, and she was from the SPCA (had been saved from a kill shelter)
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 2:02am PST 
I won't ever adopt from a kill shelter - well, at least if I stuck to my guns. In all reality, at some point in my life, I probably will.

I know that sounds horrible, at face value, but bear with me.

There's no excuse to put an adoptable animal down in this country. Some may disagree, that's fine, but that's what I believe. The problem is in shelter management - well, it's a multifaceted problem, so that is simplifying it - but the point is, while yes, it's the public's fault that these dogs are winding up in shelters, it's the manager's fault they are being killed. (And to cover my bases here, some parts of the no-kill equation can't work until far more people are on board with it than are now - so even a shelter manager who is trying his or her best, may not be able to cut it, and I can't blame them for that).

Anyway, similar to how you do not purchase a puppy from a miller to "rescue" it because you are giving money to the miller to continue what they do, I don't want to fund a failed policy and a broken system that results in more unnecessarily euthanized dogs.

I will say though that while I consider buying from a puppy miller to be across-the-board unethical (unknowing buyers exempt, of course), I won't say the same about getting a dog from a kill shelter.

I'll either go to a breeder, a breed rescue, or a (true) no-kill shelter. And not one that just calls themselves that, one that is - I won't demand an exact match-up - close to the no-kill equation. Or working toward that position.

But like I said, that's sticking to my guns, and I doubt I'd wind up doing that. It's more of an idealized point rather than one I firmly believe, if that makes sense.

~

I do keep an eye out on my local kill shelter (they have never had to kill for space, but they are not a no-kill shelter) and a local "working toward" no-kill shelter as well, just to see the dogs that come through. I'm not prepared at this point in my life to add another dog but that day will eventually come smile.

Edited by author Thu Dec 8, '11 2:05am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 4:07am PST 
I find most of my dogs, or rather they find me. I am sure they would end up in a kill shelter if I didn't take them in.

If I were looking for a dog the shelter would be my 1st stop. They are not profitable places, like puppy mills, and not taking a dog from them isn't going to make them go away. It will just mean one more nice dog will be killed instead of getting a home.

I would have a hard time going into the shelter and would feel bad I couldn't take them all. It is possible that I would go with one of the rescues around here that pull dogs from the shelter, but maybe not.

Shelters are not caused by people adopting dogs from them, they are caused by stupid cruel people who aren't responsible and think dumping a dog is a good way to get rid of it.

I give money to our local shelter and support them whenever they have an event or fund drive too.
[notify]

Sadie- Lickin's

Lick 'em all!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 5:06am PST 
There are fantastic dogs in shelters. My theory is you are more likely to find a great dog in a kill shelter over a no kill. Why? Because the kill shelter culls the behavior cases. In my area, there is a poor munciple kill shelter within walking distance of a rich locally famous no-kill one. Having volunteered for both, the no-kill shelter has all the behavior problem dogs!

The thing for the pet adopter to think about is; There is no way to know how ANY kenneled animal is going to act, once out of the shelter and in a home!!! IF you really know your animals and can make that decade long life commitment in the back room of the shelter, please, please go and directly save a life!

If you are not experienced, a home-based rescue that is honest about the dogs in their care is the best choice. My last foster was cute as a button, but had minor behavior issues. I knew she woud not be right in a family with kids. Can't remember how many families I had to direct away from her, some that would argue back about it! Finially, after 7 months "THE ONE" came along, and Red 38 was adopted.

After having Red in my home for about 8 weeks 24/7, we knew EVERYTHING about her. How she slept, what she would bark at, what she was like at my work office, out on a walk, at the vet's. You get the idea...

The people in any shelter or rescue for that matter range from loving salt of the Earth types to abusive horrible monsters. Pretty much like everywhere else in the world.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 7:16am PST 
I was banned from adopting at our local high kill shelter due to owning an Akita. I was pretty disappointed that even though I met all the other qualification to adopt they would not give me the benefit of the doubt that I could have 2 dogs who got along simply because the profile for Akitas they were trained with says Akitas are too other dog agressive to be in multi dog homes. We located a wonderful breeder and purchased Kai. He and Mika get along just fine. I really wish our shelter had been willing to let me save a dog.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 8:19am PST 
It's like everything else; there are good shelters and bad ones. Like Samson I have a strong preference for No Kill shelters, but there's a kill shelter near me that, in many respects, I think is admirable. I disagree with some of their policies, but they are really doing what they perceive to be best for the animals. The cats have a lovely cat habitat. The dogs have soft beds, blankets, and toys; they share large kennels whenever there is a good personality match between dogs; they don't kill any dog simply on the basis of breed.

But that's not the shelter where I volunteer. I drive a little further, and volunteer at the shelter that's No Kill for dogs and limited admission for cats.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 9:14am PST 
It all depends on what you're looking to do. If I were strictly adopting a pet, then I would much prefer to adopt from a foster based rescue or breed specific rescue. Those types of organizations know the individual dogs and work hard to place them in good homes, they truly want to match the dog with the right forever home. Many offer training and behavioral support after adoption, too. That's something that is critical: and usually lacking in AC and high kill shelters.

If I were looking to pull dogs on my own and foster and then place them, then I would got to animal control or a high kill shelter and pull dogs that I'd have a hope of placing in the future before their time was up.
[notify]
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 10:41am PST 
My next dog will be my agility dog, and I will be adopting, so, I prefer a dog from a rescue group that is in a foster home so I can learn more about the dog.

If I wasn't looking to adopt a dog that would have a job, I wouldn't mind adopting a dog from a shelter.

Most dogs in rescue groups were saved from kill shelters.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 1:38pm PST 
I prefer foster home based rescues because they know the dog, and I know somewhat how it will be in the home.

Edited by author Thu Dec 8, '11 1:40pm PST

[notify]
Daisy - In Loving- Memory

Sweet As Sugar

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 1:43pm PST 
I got Daisy from a high kill shelter and it was the best thing I could have done. I not only saved a life but received a wonderful new family member. Daisy is wonderful, and so loving. The staff at the shelter work hard to save as many dogs and cats as they can and use the social networks to help with adoptions. That's how I found Daisy was one of the staff posted her pic on Facebook and asked would someone help her. They were doing everything they could to get her adopted before they put her to sleep. She was being overlooked mainly because she was a senior and also because she was heartworm positive. Not many people want a senior heartworm positive dog. Glad I did though. She's now heartworm negative and such a joy. I hope she has many happy years with us. My next adoption will be through this shelter.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6