GO!

How to find High Kill Shelters in my state?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Kiya

100% Spoiled- Rotten

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '08 4:49pm PST 
I am searching for a list of High Kill Shelters in my state. I have tried about every variation of wording in Google, yet I keep coming up with results of NO Kill Shelters that say the rescue from High Kill Shelters.

*sigh* I thought this internet thing was supposed to make finding information easier!!

So can anyone help me or direct me to finding a list of High Kill Shelters in my state?

TIA!
[notify]
Drover ~Sweet Angel Boy~

I Love Mom!

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '08 4:55pm PST 
Not sure if this will help. Some pups have mentioned this site:
dogsindanger.com
You can search by state and find dogs who are going to be pts very soon.
Not all shelters list here.
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '08 6:11pm PST 
Usually (not always) the high kill shelters are in big cities. I would try to google "animal control" shelters and see what you can dig up from there. To tell you the truth very few shelters are up front with their euthanasia rates and you find out more through word of mouth.

Bossk - ADOPTABLE!

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 8:47pm PST 
Where are you located? I am in Georgia and each shelter and animal control is so different. Even some Humane Societies kill dogs. I would just search Animal Control as suggested above or Animal Shelters. You will find many that way. You can also use PetFinder.com to find shelters sites. Many we have to call and ask questions. Like "How long do you keep a dog? Do you have a particular day you put down dogs?"

Feel free to PM with additional questions. Thanks!
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 9:55am PST 
Kiya, I have been wondering the same thing for months! I have tried searching KILL SHELTERS and get only NO kill. Which of course is good, but I want to pull dogs that are in high danger. I have recently found out that our local Animal Services kills dogs and cats very often (despite them denying it when i asked) and will most likely be going with them. I have been wanting a list for florida for a long time, but I just don't think there is one. Keep looking and good luck! way to go
[notify]
Oni~Prince of Thieves

Unable to- respond...

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 12:40pm PST 
county pound/shelter -is another one to look out for...of course inserting the name of specific counties helps quite a bit

Edited by author Mon Mar 24, '08 12:42pm PST

[notify]
Diesel

This is my cute- look

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 12:43pm PST 
In NC our Ag Dept keeps stats by county of kills rates of all shelters/rescue groups. I have links here; I would check with your state Ag Dept or whoever keeps your animal welfare legislation enforced. Each county should also have stats; here in Stokes County ours were released in the local paper with the county budget/expense reports and updates from every local department. Because this is govt related you may have to search within a web site and not using a search engine. In NC you can search your county at www.co.NAMEOFCOUNTY.nc.us just substitute the county name in the middle.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 3:13pm PST 
Your best bet would be to e-mail/call the no-kill shelters that pull from high-kill shelters and ask them for the names of high-kill shelters.

way to go
Baxter

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 6:29pm PST 
I echo a previous poster - contact the shelters. In my state, the statistics are a matter of public record. They document how many dogs were taken in/reclaimed/adopted/PTS. Many post the annual report online (try visiting the town/city/county website if the shelter does not have one).

To contradict a previous poster, in my experience, the more rural the shelter, the higher the "kill rate." Often in more rural areas, they operate with limited funding and staff (often only one animal control officer.) Plus, they might only have a few pens. While it is true that more animals will enter an urban shelter, they often are better equipped (as opposed to the rural shelters - note I did not write "well-equipped") to handle the intake. Finally, urban areas offer a larger network of rescues. I've just noticed that in my area, the urban shelters put a lower percentage of animals down and often are able to keep animals past the mandatory holding period far longer than more rural shelters.
[notify]
Baxter

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 6:30pm PST 
I echo a previous poster - contact the shelters. In my state, the statistics are a matter of public record. They document how many dogs were taken in/reclaimed/adopted/PTS. Many post the annual report online (try visiting the town/city/county website if the shelter does not have one).

To contradict a previous poster, in my experience, the more rural the shelter, the higher the "kill rate." Often in more rural areas, they operate with limited funding and staff (often only one animal control officer.) Plus, they might only have a few pens. While it is true that more animals will enter an urban shelter, they often are better equipped (as opposed to the rural shelters - note I did not write "well-equipped") to handle the intake. Finally, urban areas offer a larger network of rescues. I've just noticed that in my area, the urban shelters put a lower percentage of animals down and often are able to keep animals past the mandatory holding period far longer than more rural shelters.
[notify]