GO!

Home inspection - what to expect?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Magnolia,- ONYX, RN,- RL1, CGC

Star-Studded- Dalmatian

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 11:32am PST 
My mom and dad are trying to get me a brother from the Belgian Malinois rescue!

Mom's a little nervous because they require a home inspection and she says she's a crappy house-keeper. I don't know anything about it, so I can't help her feel better (they got me from a breeder and all they had to do was promise they wouldn't breed me).

Can anyone who's had a home inspection as part of an adoption process tell my mom what kinds of things that they're looking for?! She wants to make sure that if things need to be very tidy that she does an extra good job.

We already have a nice fenced in yard, and they make sure that they keep all kinds of dangerous things out of it so that I won't get hurt. But mom's worried that if she doesn't have the place spic-and-span that they'll tell her she and dad can't adopt this new dog!
[notify]
Fugas- (1/15/00 - 8/22/11)

Where is my- Daddy??

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 5:57am PST 
Every rescue is different with their home checks. I guess it partly depends on the type of dog you are adopting. For Husky rescue.. honeslty if the house is tooo clean I get concerned that they might not be the home for a husky. Since they shed a LOT. For fences we are looking t the bottom of the fence since Huskies will push and dig out.. so we are kicking at the fence to check security. We also are lookinga t the security of the home too.. But more than anything I like to see people talk and who are not afraid to ask questions. With that, I'd call the folks and ask.. and be willing to listen and open to suggestions from them. They are going to know the dog better than you do.. So ask for their help. Tell them you want to make sure everything is right. Aside from that, the biggest thing we want to see out of folks is a willingness to work with the dog.

Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 6:58am PST 
Magnolia,
I know the feeling! I started up as an adoptee and now I'm on the other side of the fence because I do homechecks! I have been checked several times by differents rescue/breeds. Once when I adotped Taco, the second was when I became a foster parent and the last one by a chinese crested rescue. All were accepted.
You don't need to be super clean but if there is as least a sense of order and somewhat clean that is perfect (for me). Some people are more picky. As a dog owner I know to not expect the couch to be empty of any dog fur and to not have some pieces of grass in the house. A dog is a dog. What I usualy look for is if the house have things that can break easily which case I talk to them to find out mroe about the breakable thing saying that I don't think this thing belong there as a dog can get hurt by this or can break it.
I check for the house in general. IS the house too clean or really dirty. Too clean often mean that they won't tolerate shedding or muddy paws in the house but its not always the case. My mom is one of the most clean person I have ever known and she have 3 dogs, 8 cats and 6 birds. You can never tell that she as all that! The opposite often mean that the person may lack some care for the dog and that the dog can get in a dangerous thing and swallow it or worst. I have done one where the lady as piles and piles of clothes all over the house. She had stuff all over that was just piled up and never care for. She also has old fish thanks that still had water in and it was stinking. This is usualy a not good place.
I also ispect the rooms/bathrooms to make sure they are dog friendly and I ask lots of questions such as "Where is the dog going to sleep?". Then I go sit with the people to chat a bit with them and I insert few catch in the conversation to see what they will say. Then I go for the yard. I check the fence and if it need to get some repair I mention it to see what they are going to say. I shake the fence to see if its sturdy enough to resist a dog jumping on it and I check if its deep or not. I also check for the garden or flower beds and talk to the people to tell them that a dog can dig and they can more likely go in the flower beds. (I know what it does!).
I know some people open cuberts and closets but I don't usualy do that.
Since you are looking for a belgian Malinois you shoudl already know that they are very active and fast dogs. Taco likes them because they can keep up with is speed. Malinois do very good at agility, flyball, herding and obedience/rally O.
[notify]

Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 8:24am PST 
I'm with Fungas about the house being "too clean" If I go into a home that has white carpet, white couches, not a speck of dust anywhere I do worry that the first time the dog messes up it will be coming back to us.
Not to say that I want to see someones dirty laundry laying around eithersmile
Just make sure anything dangerous is out of the dogs reach and the home inspector can walk through your living roomsmile
All rescues are different but we do not go all through someones house unless they offer to show us a particular room for whatever reason.
We always check the yard and if there are kids in the house we warn them about standing with the door open and such.
Oh and the big thing I personally look for when doing a home visit is if they have other dogs, are they wearing ID tags. That is number 1 in my book, if an owner does not have collar and tags on it can be a deal breaker at times.
We take ID tags VERY serious in our rescue because we do small dogs and they are known to squirt out the door and be gone.
A home visit is mostly to see where and how the dog is going to live and get to know adopters a little better. We are usually at a home for about an hour, with our rescue we take the dog along for the home visit but some others may be different.
You'll be fine, let us know if you get the dog!
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:29am PST 
We look for a relaxed home... not to clean or dirty. Depending on the dog, yard fencing is really important. I want to meet every person in that household. I do not check every room but I do want to see where the dog will sleep or be the most ( esp. if people work ). I want them to ask all kinds of questions ( esp if first time adopters or for that breed/mix ) I also want to make sure there is a collar ( not prong or choke) on other dogs in the home. Make sure they are licensed and chipped. I want to sit with them and watch the dog interact with the potential adopters. I do look for maybe dangers that they may have not thought on.
[notify]
Danny

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:46am PST 
Good luck with your inspection. When I go for a home visit I use a checklist. My primary concern is safety and, of course, evaluating if it is a place where a dog is likely to be well cared for and happy. Housekeeping is generally unimportant to me unless it poses a safety risk. That said, you will probably make a better impression if your home is tidy. The items on my checklist are: Entrance escape risk (this is particularly important for small dogs who can quickly slip out the font door), stairs, where will the dog spend the day?, where will the dog spend the night?, are there limitations to where the dog is permitted access ?, other animals in the house, children in the home, will the dog be crated?, will the dog be tethered? is there free access to outdoors - if not how often is the dog permitted outdoors (access to exercise and a place to pee/poop)?, If there protection from the elements outdoors?,Is there a secure fence (safety), Is there secure access to the yard (e.g., gate). Do others have access to the property (gardener, housekeeper)?, How will you ensure that these people don't let the dog out?, Are there predators in the area (e.g., coyotes)?, Is there a lot of traffic?

I can get a good feel about the people by reviewing these items with them. I am impressed with people who have anticipated/planned for these issues. I also pay attention to how they respond to suggestions I make. I hope this helps.
[notify]

Star-Studded- Dalmatian

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 2:16pm PST 
Thanks for everyone's helpful posts! I'll make sure to tell my mom all of this. I know she'll already feel better. You all have given such excellent advice! We'll be sure to let you know the outcome.
[notify]

Star-Studded- Dalmatian

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 11:48am PST 
Our home inspection went fantastic. Mom and Dad relaxed when the lady from the rescue arrived... and they ended up chatting for 2 and a half hours!!!

Tonight is our big meeting with the new dog. Wish us luck! If we get along well, Mom and Dad said I'll have a new "brother."
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 11:53am PST 
Good luck!!! I am glad the home inspection went well. There is nothing better fpr a rescue volunteer when you go to a home inspection and hit it off with the people. It really makes you feel good about where the dog is going.

I hope all goes well and KEEP US UDPATED!!! big grin
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 12:16pm PST 
Good for you Magnolia! I'm very happy that hings went well. In my book if you chat like 2 hours + with the people your in the good way! I usualy spend 1 hour per homecheck, less if it's not a good place I know it and try to shorten it. If its a very good place I stay longer. I like staying longer! smile
Let us know what happened!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2