GO!

HIGH-KILL SHELTERS

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 48)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Mattie

Loves to fetch!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 8:51am PST 
Can you add some of the pet shelters in East Tennessee? They have a very high kill rate because lack of spaying and neutering in our rural areas? Our best shelter in Knox County euthanized 9,000 of 15,000 dogs and cats just last year. If you want more research of the surrounding counties I can do that for you, but I assure you the Knox County shelter will have the most adoptions. frown
[notify]

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 5:17pm PST 
I know I'm delayed and I didn't read all of the answers but the Irving shelter in Texas is very high kill as well.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:50pm PST 
AHS-Newark NJ and Union County Animal Control-NJ

I'm sure there are already rescue places pulling from these places, but the sheer volume of animals that come into city shelters is too sad to comprehend. Newark has the most wonderful dogs and cats. Unfortunately the shelter is challenging to drive to and poorly maintained so not most people's first choice when looking to adopt.

Union is a small clean shelter with dedicated staff...but more incoming animals from surrounding cities than can possibly be placed.

Humane Society of Columbia County PA

Very rural area, unfortunately spaying isn't the norm for farm raised dogs and cats, surrounding towns are low income, another contributing factor to not spaying.
[notify]

Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:19pm PST 
I see this is a zombie thread raised from the dead, but for anyone else working on this....

There was an article about the Montgomery County Animal Shelter that kills 99% of intake, does not list adoptables on website, and has very limited hours it MAY work with rescues, but generally doesn't.

BARC in Houston made news in the last couple of years for reducing its EU rate from 80% to 60%. Improvement, but 60% is still too high!

The Animal Foundation, formerly Lied Animal shelter in Las Vegas, has a similar EU rate as well. (Used to be no-kill cry )

Devore in San Bernardino area is very high, dogs given very little time. Downey shelter in CA also, but I don't know the rates.

Miami-Dade Animal Services is another where animals get very little time.

There's a lot of outrage over practices in Fulton County GA also.

That's just what I've heard about, off the top of my head.

There's a lot of activity on Facebook with regard to abusively high-kill shelters...
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:22pm PST 
MY GUESS would be the Pasadena Texas shelter is fairly high-kill. Ace was saved by a rescue when she was just a 4 month old puppy. (I adopted her 3 months later.) Any shelter with healthy puppies on death row is too high kill for me.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:32pm PST 
I'm a volunteer coordinator for two kill shelters in California. One is the City of San Bernardino Shelter, and the other is Devore (known country wide as the slaughterhouse).
This is a great thing you are doing. We are looking for a dog and we want to rescue from a kill shelter so I'm on the same quest, to find one as local as possible.
Good luck!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 7:35pm PST 
I'm fairly new to Kingsville, TX and just found out that they still use the gas chamber. Please let me know how I can help other than making sure they are forced to comply with the law that was passed by Perry this year.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 6:24am PST 
I know this is a super old thread BUT you could utilize DogsInDanger.com as well. I wish more shelters participated in this website- not many in my state or surrounding states do.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 48)  
1  2  3  4  5