GO!

HIGH-KILL SHELTERS

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Madisyn

Its all about- me....Madie!!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '08 7:20pm PST 
I know there is a shelter in Vincennes,IN that is high kill.
[notify]
♥Bind- i♥

Finally I have a- Forever Home!

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '08 7:39pm PST 
greenville south carolina. they only have 5 days....
[notify]
Ruby

Girls just like- to have fun

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '08 10:33pm PST 
Do a google search for " ADOPT-A-PET.COM "
You can look state by state. the ones that are kill shelters will say animal control. it also list every rescue org. I am trying to do something similar to what you are doing. i want to give the kill shelters a list of all the rescue groups within a 200 mile radius of their location.
I live in texas . there are a lot of rescue groups and alot of high kill shelters. the ones i've heard about is san antonio, denton, ft worth, and brownwood.
please let me know what you think of the adopt a pet site. you can usually click on the kill shelters web site and see what dogs are
available. it also list their phone number and address.
I foster for a rescue group. we pull dogs from san antonio alot. cheer
[notify]

Lily

Adopt an Adult- Dog! Save a- life!

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 1:15pm PST 
I was wondering if you could share your definition of a high-kill shelter. Is it based on how many animals they euthanize in a certain period of time, or what percentage they euthanize, or some policy that they have in place...? I'd like to help in the search, I'm just not sure what to look for.
[notify]
Frisbee-My- Angel-RIP

He was full of- life and love.

Barked: Thu May 15, '08 1:54pm PST 
Dallas SPCA is definitely a HIGH-KILL shelter that hides the fact from the public. I surrendered a wonderful little stray that I had loved & nurtured for almost 3 months, because I have 6 other animals & believed the lies that " The SPCA of Texas is dedicated to providing every animal exceptional care and a loving home" . They killed him probably within 24 hrs & refuse to tell me why. The ONLY reason they don't kill a surrendered animal is because of space. They DO KILL for any other reason they see fit. I am devastated & will never forgive myself

Please, please tell anyone who thinks that those who make the policies at the DALLAS SPCA care-they DO NOT. I hope this story might save an innocent animal from poor little trusting Frisbee's fate.

Edited by author Thu May 15, '08 2:03pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 4:28pm PST 
i know this thread is old but i just wanted to clarify that CORTLAND COUNTY SPCA is a NO KILL SHELTER. The person on the first page is WRONG. there may be other 'extremely high kill' shelters, but this place is not it!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 3:03pm PST 
I rescued my little guy from the Carrolton, TX shelter. I think they only get a few days there... if that. He came in with one other dog. I was going to go back to get here a few days later and keep her until I found another home, but they euthanized her before I got back frown
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 3:13pm PST 
I volunteer at the Merced County Animal Shelter in California.

Through hard work and coordination, we have dropped our euthanization rate from 80% to 47%. But that's still high in my opinion.

The euthanizations are by injection. They do not gas.

IF you are a 501(c)3 rescue, they don't charge to pull the dogs, and will even vaccinate and microchip the dogs and cats for you!happy dance

Edited by author Sat Apr 28, '12 3:16pm PST

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 8:24pm PST 
www.dogsindanger.com - not a comprehensive list but a good way to get the list going

Edited by author Mon Apr 30, '12 8:24pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 6:43pm PST 
http://www.doodlerescuecollective.com/group/drrcnjny/forum/topics/us -kill-shelters-1
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5