GO!

HIGH-KILL SHELTERS

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Cleo

Support Rescue

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 11:03pm PST 
City of Kingsville (Texas) - Still uses gas chamber, does not list adoptable animals on a website, is not open on weekends. Happy to kill when 3 days are up. (I was saved on my PTS date as a tiny puppy)

Bay City Animal Control (Texas) - They do not even adopt out to the public, will only release to rescue. Shelter workers and volunteers contact rescue groups in an effort to save the animals.

Actually, why not just list Texas as one big kill shelter? silenced
[notify]
Venninne

kisses, kisses,- kisses, kisses,- kisses!!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 9:52am PST 
DEAR DOG!!

Can someone in Texas monitor the City of Kingsville Shelter, if they don't list thier adoptables on the web, I can't monitor it. Maybe if someone in Texas can do so they can at least list the dogs there and maybe we can save at least a few????
[notify]
Cleo

Support Rescue

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 7:05pm PST 
A woman from another town drives there a few times a week to take pictures and posts them on her page at www.lookinforlove.petfinder.com. Because they're so far off the beaten path, they get very little response. And the pics of dogs in the kennels don't do the poor things justice. In person, you can't help but love them.

cloud 9
[notify]

Venninne

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 10:59am PST 
ok, thanks. I will list her website instead so maybe we can help to save more lives.
[notify]
Venninne

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 12:05pm PST 
another high kill shelter, this one in California. Many many dogs in danger right now, take a look to see who you can save!!

http://www.newdawndogrescue.org/
[notify]
Carma JHE

Lets play!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 1:32pm PST 
The Hunt County Animal Shelter of Greenville and the Commerce animal Shelter are also high kill. These are both Texas Shelters.
[notify]
Jake Chav- Sofia

Woof! There it- is!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 2:41pm PST 
my boss visited a shelter in Philadelphia and said that they literally took the dogs straight back to be killed upon arrival if they were "bully breeds" and days later for other breeds. I am not sure exactly which shelter so i will ask her and post back tomorrow!

What a great idea. What can dog lovers like us do to help?
[notify]
Jake Chav- Sofia

Woof! There it- is!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 4:21pm PST 
my boss visited a shelter in Philadelphia and said that they literally took the dogs straight back to be killed upon arrival if they were "bully breeds" and days later for other breeds. I am not sure exactly which shelter so i will ask her and post back tomorrow!

What a great idea. What can dog lovers like us do to help?
[notify]
Venninne

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 8:21am PST 
What Postal and I are doing is checking the online animal lists in the high-kill shelters that have been listed here and then e-mailing the profiles of the dogs about to be PTS to the non-kill rescue agencies hoping that one of them have the room to go pull the dog from the shelter, yesterday we saved a little red doxi in texas, she is now with a Doxi no-kill rescue org who will find her a good home, Postal is working on doing the same for another Doxi in Texas and I am working on finding somewhere for a little Rat Terrier to go.

Also when on other forums if someone says they are looking to adopt, I ask what they are looking for then I try to find a dog in a high-kill shelter that matches that description and see if they will go adopt that one.way to go
[notify]
Carma JHE

Lets play!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 11:50am PST 
I agree Cleo, we should just list Texas as a big kill shelter. frown

Here are links to the Hunt County Animal Shelter of Greenville's website. They have a volunteer come in and take pictures of the animals every week. They use the gas chamber and most of the time give animals 3 days to a week to find homes before they get PTS. Their website is updated every Thursday evening.

and the Commerce Animal Shelter. This is actually the website for a rescue group called Private Pet adoptions, but they list all of the Commerce shelter's pets on their website. The pets at the Commerce shelter normally have about a week before they are put down. Right now this shelter has some really nice dogs some of the purebreds that are there: a beautiful three legged Dalmation, a beautiful blue Merle Aussie, and an older, sweet Golden Retriever. The Commerce shelter is very rescue friendly.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5