GO!

Help us Make the Best Adoption/Rescue Site on the Web

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Dogster HQ

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 6:51pm PST 
Hi all,

This is Ted. I created this crazy place way to go and have loved every minute of it. Dogsters are the most passionate community on the planent and I'm honored to be associated with everyone.

I've got some really good news which is that we're going to overhaul our adoption posting and search system. We're going to try and rebuild from the ground up, an easy way for people to post pets that need homes and the best way for people to find them.

We've been thinking about this for a long time, years even, and thought who would know better then the S,R &F crew about what makes for a great online A & R service.

If anyone has anytime or thoughts to share it would be wonderful to hear what you think? What are the must-have features, what is really important not to forget? What are great ways to connect the perfect parent with the right pet? What is awful about finding pets on our sites now? What would your ideal A&R site be like? With any luck, that's what we'll build!

What do you like about PetFinder? What do you not? (Don't get me wrong we think Petfinder is wonderful, we just have too many people seeking and posting pets on the site to not make ours as good as it can be) What other adoption/rescue sites do you like? What do you wish was possible? No idea is too over the top!

Much woof and bark!
Belgian

Vote for me!!- see page for- details!!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 7:01pm PST 
i haan idea. i think we need to have a place to post urgent animals. spalding county animal shelter regulary has urgent animals for example and dogster has already saved two of these lovley dogs.

if we can post pictures in our posts or even if we could take a form to make of the dog

(ex form)
what breed?
how old?
PTS date
why is he/she surrendered
pure/mixed
good w/kids
good w/ dogs
good w/ cats
shelter at
etc.

i think that will help dogs out alot!!
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 7:14pm PST 
Hi Ted!!! Thank you for creating dogster!!

Definitely search features - narrow down by location, sex of dog wanted, breed, if possible, much like petharbor.

The biggest problem with Petharbor and Petfinder is personal people cannot post pics of their dogs - and while I certainly think the shelter dogs come first, I know every week our rescue gets a TON of calls for people trying to find homes for their Sibes.

Also, perhaps a section with standard templates for homes inspection checks, reference checks, vet checks, and sample adoption contracts - of course dogster could not endorse them, but just as tools for people trying to find a home for their dog.

Oh! Oh!! Also - if someone wants to list a dog, perhaps they have to navigate through some info pages, that tell them to watch our for internet scams, not to list the dog as "free to a good home", and some basic questions they should ask potential adopters.

This is an awesome idea. If I can think of more things, I will come back and post them!

Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 7:30pm PST 
I'll have more after I have time to think but #1... Detailed search options!! Be able to search adoptable dogs by breed, state, gender, size, etc.

Also there needs to be a way to confirm that the dog is still adoptable. Perhaps a monthly reminder can be sent to the holder of the adoptable page asking if the dog is still adoptable?

Oh, and thanks for creating such a wonderful place! I have learned so much, gained many friends, and shed more than a few tears and even saved a life. cloud 9
Riley

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '07 6:50am PST 
I thought of something else... In the bio have the option of checking not only adoptable but if the dog is a shelter, rescue or private dog (private meaning an individual looking to rehome their dog). If I were looking for a dog I would much rather go through a rescue or shelter rather than a private person wanting to rehome their dog, but that's just me. A lot of people want to know this information though.
Faith *ADOPTED!!!!!*

Dont you love- me?

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '07 7:08am PST 
i like the having a direct link to email the fosters, or someone about the dog. also, i think that being able to list multiple photos would be sooo much better... that one thing i do not like about petfinder. there is like 1 or 2 photos, and thats it. i like how our pages are now for rescues needing homes... but what i cant stand when i search for adoptable dogs finding breeders selling puppies (GRRR), and like dogs that have been on there as adoptable for years.... to me i think it needs to be updated.... i see alot of people who say that there own pet is adoptable... when it looks like its not, they just clicked the wrong button when making the page or something. but thanks for making this site... we love it!!!
[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '07 9:22am PST 
Pawsome! This is great! Keep it coming!
Bear

I'm- one-of-a-kind!- :o)

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '07 9:36am PST 
I think everyone already put down some of my ideas about the adoption stuff...BOL.

Along with all of the adoption information, you should make a separate section for lost/found pets. We have a group for that, but not a lot of people know about it.
[notify]
Pancho- Lopez-In- Memoriam

i must break you

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '07 9:53am PST 
i would say that the biggset drawback for me as a resuce r using dogster as a way to rehome my fosters is that dogster is now a communty of mostly people who already own their ideal companions, not those who are looking, some are, but they are the exception. if you could actively promote your site as an adoption rescue site, get more traffic to the adoption and rescue forums, and choosing the right dog forums, and get more people aware that there are lots of great dogs big and small available on dogster to adopt that would be great. if you could change your adoptables stroll so that more than one picture is viewable at a time and you could click to view the one you're most interested in,i think that would help as it would make the search faster.
also, if there was a way to add a link for all of my fosters to my rescue's webpage where the potential adopter ould fill out an adoption application, that would be great too, it wouldm really save me the time and energy of having to redirect their attentions to an app and potentially losing them in the process. or if you could have a link to just the app at the bottom of the page that would be great too! thanks so much!
[notify]
Riley

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '07 11:56am PST 
What about a family/home page type deal for rescue groups or shelters? For example the shelter or rescue group has an informational page (set up similar to an individual dog page) complete with links to applications, policies, fees, etc. Then from that family page you can view any of their dogs via the 'my family' no matter who the foster may be. So basically all of that organizations dogs can be found in one place.

The only downside I see is the amount of time it takes to set up a good dogster page. I know no one in our office has time to maintain several dogster pages, they barely have time to put their petfinder pages up! I take the time to do it for my fosters because I know them better and they are in my home.
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7