GO!

URGENT! - Lied Animal Shelter, Las Vegas NV Closing

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Whitney - In Loving- Memory

Good girl!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 6:05am PST 
The Nevada SPCA needs our help!

http://www.nevadaspca.org/

From the Nevada SPCA web site: "The shutdown of Lied Animal Shelter -- the regional pound for Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Clark County -- has created a state of emergency for community animals in need. At the Nevada SPCA we will do all we can to help guide you to safe solutions for the animals during this crisis. You can reach us at 702-873-SPCA (7722). Due to our limited space we will ask you to work with us and other rescue groups to help keep the animals safe and off of the streets, so please call before you bring an animal directly to us.

Please, do NOT surrender your animal at this time unless you truly have emergency circumstances. If you have medical or behavioral problems with your companion, please see your veterinarian or a dog trainer or a behavior therapist. If you are moving, please take your animal with you to your new home and keep your family together. Last but not least, please have your companion animals spayed or neutered, microchipped, and properly vaccinated immediately."
[notify]
Whitney - In Loving- Memory

Good girl!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 6:14am PST 
Would someone with a CATSTER account please copy my original post to that forum? (I don't have a cat, hence no CATSTER account.)

Thank you!
[notify]
Pearl

Save Lives! Spay- and Neuter!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 8:18am PST 
They killed them all...was on the news. Over 1000 dogs and cats.
Horrible!
[notify]

Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 8:36am PST 
OMD, I am going to puke. cry
[notify]
Pearl

Save Lives! Spay- and Neuter!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 8:38am PST 
Here is the link to another entry on this forum.
LINK
[notify]
Brigid

ITS ALL MINE

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 8:50am PST 
not a plus member so it wont open for me. frown the web search I pulled on this is real scetchy info so far. I see one news program that said they are closed today and MIGHT have to euthanize some of the animals because they might have parvovirus or distemper. Can I get someone to send me a better link?

I cant even fathom the idea of this! Oh my... Being from dogtown, we have a much smaller rate of euthanized animals here.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 12:13pm PST 
Here is a link to the CNN story posted in the plus forum by Poquito, it gives all the details.

It's just crazy. Why not determine the maximum number of occupancy the shelter can house and then take in animals, immunize them and keep them until that number is reached. When the number is reached then euthanize the oldest first. Why kill all of them in 72 hours? Dang no offense to anyone who works with the HSUS but to hear that is their standard policy is almost as shocking to me as when I found out about the dark side of PETA. It just doesn't make sense if they have the space and provisions to care for the dogs that they wouldn't keep them longer instead of following some arbitrary 72 hour rule.
[notify]
Lucy - 2004-2009

Keep on- Whoooo-in

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 1:46pm PST 
My co-worker sent me this link after lunch, because she knows we do rescue, and I almost cried! How could they take in all these animals and not test for the deseases, and then not test afterwards? Maybe I missed something, but I can't believe they would just kill them all. I just can't!
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 1:54pm PST 
Lucy the CNN story in the link in my last post explains that the workers were giving the wrong shots on the wrong schedule or something like that. So the vaccinations were ineffective.
[notify]
Buddy CGC,- TDI, RE

Born to- Steal!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 3:54pm PST 
This is Buddy's Mom. I can't tell you how sad and disgusted I am watching this all unfold in my own city! This shelter is not privately owned it is the Couty shelter that takes in abandonded, stray, lost and owner turn ins. There are many in the city that are banding together to do what we can. We are calling on our legislatures and commissioners demanding more money be available for more staff and better vaccines. We will not let this rest! I would value anyones suggestion in how we can make a difference and force these people to act.

Not only were the vaccines administered the wrong ones, but they were not vaccinating all that came in. They also did not quarantine!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2