GO!

HIGH KILL SHELTER DATABASE

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Belgian

Vote for me!!- see page for- details!!

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 3:54pm PST 
do you know of a high kill shelter or shelters closing. Or do you know of shelters that believe in euthanizing, if you do please post the shelter here so our fellow dogsters can help save these dogs. It's a shame our fellow dogs are put down each day because of our selfish human acts. we should be ashamed of ourselves with all the dogs that get turned in each day at the shelter and at the number of those dogs who get put down

i'll start

GRIFFEN GA- This shelter believes in using the gas methods
http://spaldingcountyanimalshelter.com/
[notify]
Carma JHE

Lets play!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 8:16pm PST 
Greenville Animal Shelter - Greenville, TX They are a very high kill shelter that uses the gas chamber (most dogs have 3 days - 1 week before being PTS).

Sherman Animal Shelter - Sherman, TX They are a kill shelter, but I'm not sure how they euthenize (I've only been there once and didn't really get any info on their shelter).
[notify]
Zaydah

1 part dog, 2- parts psycho.

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 9:14pm PST 
I don't want to start any arguements here, but I think all sides need to be considered.

I don't agree with euthanizing dogs for time or space, but many many shelters are open, meaning they accept every single dog that comes in.

The animal shelter I work at does not euthanize for time or space- but we only accept animals by appointments and based on how much space we have. We have to turn away so many dogs and cats it's not even funny.

I knew of one animal shelter who accepted all animals, but they were also a no-kill. I hate to say it like this, but most of the dogs probably would have been better off dead. Most of the dogs were sick, they were terribly overpopulated,all of the tiny kennels had 4 or more dogs in them, and when they ran out of space they put the dogs on tie-outs. I saw several animals die at this facility, from sickness, being hung up on the fences, being attacked by the other dogs. This particular shelter later went under new management.

I didn't believe in Kill Shelters either, until I saw this particular no-kill shelter.

I think it's great that we try to save as many animals as possible (the shelter i work at will go to kill shelters to adopt animals that would be otherwise put to sleep). But you have to be realistic sometimes. Sometimes, the kill shelters are the ones you WANT to adopt from, you're saving an animal's life, rather than adopting a dog who is being well taken care of, fed, socialized, etc in a no-kill.

Edited by author Wed Feb 14, '07 9:16pm PST

[notify]

Sheba

Gone Goatin'!

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 12:45am PST 
I do the grassroots thing...I work with 3 "high kill" shelters" on a fairly regular basis....I've got my end covered.
edited to say I "do it on my own" because I've found it way too much hassle (politics) to network too much.

Edited by author Thu Feb 15, '07 1:03am PST

[notify]
Ruffian

Newest Project- "Sprinkles"

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 6:32am PST 
Bravo Belgian!!!!applause I'll let you know if I hear of one!
[notify]
Charlie

Pet a Pit, it's- good for the- soul

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 6:38am PST 
I could list these all day but here is the one nearest and dearest to my heart, as that's where my precious Lucy is from:

Tipton County Animal Shelter- Brighton, TN
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TN158.html
[notify]
Belgian

Vote for me!!- see page for- details!!

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 3:24pm PST 
this post is to encourge to adopt dogs from high kills. i dont believe in some of the euthanization ways of some. like the griffen shelter or the one Carma posted that uses gas chamber.

i would rather take a shot any day to end my life rather then to be poisioned to death
[notify]
Cleo

Support Rescue

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 8:52pm PST 
Kingsville Animal Control in Kingsville, Texas.

They hold dogs for 3 days, then gas them. They have one person trained on the chamber and he enjoys his job quite well. Depending upon his mood, he'll gas dogs that have been tagged by rescues. This pound is not interested in adopting out to the public, because it's too much of a hassle. They have stated that each dog is viewed as a dead dog. No care is given to sick animals, they're fed once per day and it's a free-for-all in each run, males are mixed with females, big dogs and little dogs, and the place is lucky to ever see a drop of bleach.

Jourd anton Animal Control in Jourdanton, Texas.

They've drowned dogs at a nearby water treatment plant when the vet wasn't around to put them down.
[notify]
Stella D.- Smith

I see- dog people!-

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 9:53pm PST 
The ANNA Shelter - Erie, Pa.
[notify]
ChiChi

Chi aka Don- ChiChi to you- Godfather Fans

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:24pm PST 
cry San Antonio (Texas) Animal Control Services euthanizes 75 to 125 animals per day right now & a total of 40,000 to 50,000 annually. Those are numbers I can barely fathom. http://epay.sanantonio.gov/animalcare/Gallery.aspx?D=ADOPTABLE&S=DOG -- to see what I've written about this just tonight visit http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=1605 09374&blogID=258497499&MyToken=c52dd659-8e91-4da3-afb1-41fd09579bdf
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3