GO!

Alaskan Spitz?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Cassie

Eat. Sleep. Swim

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 9:54am PST 
A friend of our family is looking for a rescued Alaskan Spitz that needs adopting. Is there such thing as an Alaskan Spitz? The family has asked me to help them find one, but my searching has come up empty. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cassie
[notify]
McGee

So I'm a Chowder- Collie - get used to it

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 10:26am PST 
Maybe they are thinking of an Eskimo Spitz? I think there are three varieties: standard, miniature, and toy
[notify]
Dante

Cuddling,- walking, food,- it's all good.

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 10:31am PST 
Ok the closest I came to an Alaskan Spitz was an Alaskan Klee Kei, or a minature Husky.
There is also the American Indian dog and the Eskimao dog. The Amer. Eskimo dog LOOKS like a spitz
And of course the Alaskan Malumute and Alaskan husky.
Hope it helps!
[notify]

Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 12:53pm PST 
Alaskan Spitz...

I have never heard of them in my entire life of being around working sled dogs and sled dog breeds.
[notify]
King

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 1:01pm PST 
I have owned a Eskimo Spitz and that is probably what your friends are looking for. I would find some pictures of the Eskimo Spitz and show them to your friends.
[notify]
Cassie

Eat. Sleep. Swim

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 4:30pm PST 
Thanks for your responses everyone. I was thinking the same thing all of you are.... they're probably talking about an Eskimo Spitz. I just wasn't sure if there actually was a breed called an "Alaskan Spitz." It didn't sound familiar at all and when I went to search for a dog for them, nothing showed up. I'm going to print out some pictures of Eskimo Spitzs' to take to my friend.

Thanks again,
Cassie
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 5:04pm PST 
My best guess is an Eskimo Spitz also, but I'd check and make sure they weren't trying to make a reference to some kind of mixed dog, just in case!
Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Mon Jul 17, '06 8:18pm PST 
Wait... could "Eskimo Spitz" be the American or Canadian ones?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 5:15pm PST 
I've been told that when i got my dog that it was an Alaskan Spitz.I searched and searched and found an Alaskan Snow Spitz site like other people I'm not sure, it might be an Eskimo Spitz like other people say.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 6:56am PST 
My uncle had an "Alaskan Spitz" when I was a kid. This was the late 70's and early 80's. I believe that he was supposedly NKC registered. He looked just like an American Eskimo so I am guessing that is what he may have actually been. He was a great little dog except he hated everyone but family (a product of his upbringing I'm sure). He bit a lot of people. Today he would probably be siezed. He was very gentle and tolerant of me even when I was very young. He was terrified of thunder storms. He would hide under furniture and shake terribly.
[notify]