GO!

Are two dogs better than one??

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Ellie

So much to- smell, so little- time.

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 1:13pm PST 
I am an only puppy, and my mommy thinks about getting me a sibling, but she is afraid I will be more bonded with my sibling, rather than her. I am really good at entertaining myself and I am so loving now, she doesn't want me to become overly dependant on a new pup, or rather the new pup be dependant on me. Are two doggies better than one? Or is ok that I am an only child?? She is just worried I am lonely without a borhter or sister...
[notify]
Sarah's Lady- Roxanna

Can't Control my- Licker!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 3:50pm PST 
I was an only dog for a while and I loved it. I got all of mommy and daddy's attention. I wasn't lonely at all, but my mommy wanted another one like me. So she got my friend Holli. I LOVED having a friend! Then it went further and further. Now mommy and daddy have 6 of us dachshunds-one is being paid for so she hasn't arrived yet. Mommy has an italian greyhound and is planning for a border collie to arrive. I will be ok with it as long as he/she doesn't try to eat all my food, or jump on me and hurt me!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 4:26pm PST 
That's a great question. Mommy is thinking of getting me a little brother... but she's a bit hesitant. Although I don't mind socializing with other fellow canines.... I seem more like a human-person.

Is there a way to determine if your only child would benefit from a sibling?
[notify]

♥- karma- ♥

l o m l

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 4:37pm PST 
Hi Ellie,
I joke that Troop is Karma's dog, and that she got a dog because I loved having a dog so much and wanted to share the experience.
Seriously both have such different personalities and bond deeply with me and i am so happy I got 2 dogs. They do keep each other company (and sometimes like all siblings get in a tiff) but I think you'll find that you are always #1.
The other good thing is they are never alone when you are at work.
I recommend 2 dog families smile it works for me!
Good luck deciding,
Karma's person (and Troops!)
[notify]
Brandy-licious!!

I'm A Great- Big Chocolate- Kiss!!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 4:56pm PST 
I was the only dog for the first 10 months I was with my humans. But I had SUPER BAD separation anxiety, so when the female human got a job for a little while, they decided it was time to get another dog. The worst day of my life was when they brought Quinn home-- JUST KIDDING!! It was actually one of the best days of my life. Sure we fight sometimes, but mostly we just play a lot. Sometimes we get jealous of each other if one of the humans is giving one of us more attention than the other. Quinn and I have learned a lot from each other. We always have some one to play with or cuddle with (which we hardly ever do) and we stick up for each other all the time. It was hard at first because Quinn was pretty wild and didn't realize that just because he is a dominant dog doesn't mean he is alpha. I still have separation anxiety, but with Quinn here, it is not near as bad. I love my little brother and I cannot imagine life without him now!! Two dogs are definitely better!!
[notify]
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 8:12am PST 
For me 2 is better! Molly was jealous at first when we have bring Taco's home. Then she was jealous again when we've got Hank and Baba and even more when we've start fostering. But now she seem to have understand they are there to keep Taco entertain as he always want to pull to her collar! Now he pull on Hank and Baba's ones and Molly could quietly play with Haylee with a toy chasing each other. Everyone are very happy. They don't need us to be always with them or petting them or playing with them. They still begging to be petted. Molly still sleep with her humans at night. Everything is just fine now!!! What a beautyfull family!!!
I go with 2 dogs! And don't worry your dog won't leave you aside as your are the pack leader and you are the best friend a dog could ever get!
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 8:18am PST 
I'm also in the same boat your in. I'm looking at getting another boxer to add to our family. I have Ace who is a male and I want to get a little sister for him. He does very well as only dog but I can't help but feel that sometimes when we are busy doing something around the house and not paying him any minde he gets alittle bored. I think having a little sister for him to play with would be great.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 8:50am PST 
What I did was foster a dog to see if Kaiser would be a good sibling. I didn't plan for it to be for 2 months, but now I think that it was better that it was longer than anticipated. I had always wanted to get another dog, so this was great practice. We got Maggie immediately after the other dog left. I wasn't planning on it being immediate, but you can't control fate.

Kaiser was also very much socialized beforehand so there was never any fighting, bullying or chaos at all. He was very inviting. He would share any of his stuff, his food, his toys, his bed. He is so loving. He just loves to make friends and play with other dogs. Honestly, I don't think he has ever met a dog he didn't like. Unfortunately not all dogs have liked him, but that's not his problem. It really hurts his feelings though.

Kaiser and Maggie are very bonded and love each other so much, but they are still very much focused on Mommy.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 8:57am PST 
Sometimes you just have to be patient. My sister still lives with my parents, so when she brought Ruby home, Rosie's nose was a little out of joint.. but now they're as thick as thieves. By the time Duke joined the clan, they were so used to a bunch of dogs being around that they were like "Hey, what's one more..."
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 9:07am PST 
More than one is definitely better, IMHO.
Maggie and Milo are littermates. Each with their independent personality, but also VERY happy to be together. It's definitely more work, but worth it in every other way!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6