GO!

Saying Goodbye

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '14 7:24am PST 
On June 2nd 2014 my older service dog, Shadow officially retired as my service dog. On that day, Sir Ailbe, graduated from "Mutts With A Mission" service dog program. He'll be a future ADI service dog for Veterans. Mutts With A Mission is an ADI (Assistance Dogs International) Candidate Program. They should have their ADI Accreditation by next Summer.

In April 2014, Shadow suffered from a Grand Mal seizure and continued to have them. He was put on seizure meds, but his Vet wanted to find out what was happening to Shadow. An MRI confirmed that he had advance non operable brain cancer and was given only three months to live. He was kept on his seizure meds, but predisone was added to keep the swelling down in his brain.

On June 14, 2014 it was time to say goodbye to my faithful friend. He'll be missed..

Sir Ailbe apparently did learn from Shadow because I was trying for two years to teach him the home commands and jobs which he didn't want to do. Well, after Shadow passed on all of the commands and tasks that I did try to teach him he actually knew. He's been 100% solid on the commands to go too work and picking up and retrieving quite a few new items.

Never give up hope because you'll always have a faithful service dog for many years to come.

Sir Ailbe
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '14 6:47pm PST 
I am sorry to hear about Shadow and glad Albee could step up for you. Sadie is doing well but I as I am sure a lot of us think about her immortalitie. I over the years have had that lesson more then I care to have,but when you take on the responsibilitie of a dog be it Pet or Partner you take that risk.I have had to put several very loyal pets down and I did not like it as well as a few farm animals. One of the Hardest was the Cow I had,she was a very sweet girl and a good milker she got very sick suddenly and of corse you know that you can't put large animals down like you do pets.My mom is going to have to put her mini poodle to sleep or she may pass a sleep peacefully I hope.The dog had been an unofficial ESA for her for over 15 years now. She's had a lot of things going that last year or so. It will be hard I know when that day come unfortunatly it will be soon.
My daughter N law is venturing in to that life and world of Service dog life style she has chosen
to start off with a puppy though she has not been clear what breed. I know that she is doing the right thing in finally making that step. Though I am not sure about getting a puppy for her first dog. We will see I guess since she is young she will be able to handle the energetic puppy since she has a 6 year old to also keep her on her toes. lol. We are beginning our training with Sadie
she is comfortable using Sadie to learn hows a Service dog works. I hope you and Albee work out well and have a long and productive partnership.
[notify]