GO!

Psychiatric Service Dog Advice in GA

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '14 9:12pm PST 
i’m 21, live in GA and have struggled with anxiety disorder NOS and recurrent episodes of major depressive disorder, especially since around 2008.

these conditions are disabling, but i'm not on disability income or anything yet.

i’ve recently done a lot of research on psychiatric service dogs and think that having one would help me. i’ve even made a list of over ten tasks that a dog could do to improve my life.

i’ve also made a list of organizations throughout the country that i might meet the criteria for, including:

- Canine Assistants (GA)
- Paws of Mind Service Dogs (FL)
- Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs (FL)
- Florida Service Dogs (FL)
- Made in Texas Assistance Dogs (TX)
- Pawsitivity Service Dogs (MN)
- American Service Dog Association (MO)
- Laughing Eyes Kennels (NM)
- Pawsible Independence Assistance Dogs (CA)
- Little Angels Service Dogs (CA)

as far as i can tell, these all serve GA and are open to non-military people for mental health assistance dogs. these organizations vary in whether they are entirely free, cost money to apply, and/or cost money for the dog. i know that there are people who train their own service dogs, but i don’t think i would be a good candidate for that without a local trainer on board to help, which i don’t have the money to fund.

have any of you worked with any of these organizations, or do you have any other advice for me?

thanks in advance!
[notify]
Mochi

The Big Cheese

Barked: Thu Jul 31, '14 9:16pm PST 
I would not suggest Laughing Eyes Kennels. I received a dog from them that I ultimately had to return. He was poorly trained, and I have videos of his failure to perform from before I even left New Mexico. I was told that if I just bonded to him things would get better. They did not. He was very nervous and at one point bared teeth at a child who jumped into his face, a completely inappropriate reaction for a service dog. The trainer's reaction was even worse. She asked me to continue doing public access with him, with him using DAP collars as a form of medicating him. From what I can tell, after talking with at least one other person who received a dog from them with a frighteningly similar experience, the dogs they put out have nerve issues and tend to soak up the handler's anxiety, which is obviously a problem with a psychiatric service dog.

Other names on your list I've heard negative things about, but as I do not have direct experience with any of them other than LEK, I won't speak to them. Best of luck in your search.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '14 9:00pm PST 
yikes! thanks for the heads up.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '14 7:14am PST 
You have to apply with applacation for this Program here in maine : Wagging tails it is mainly for kids or generated around kids but they do except adults. I applyed and applacation to them but was turned down cause of my life style not being suitable(I did not drive and had no way to go to the program during training). They surpply the Dog as well as train it with you, but they do not have room and board while training so you would have to arrange living situation for yourself while you were up here. The whole program is $7,000 Dog and all. They have a website also.
Things may have changed with them, but I was told in maine you are allowed to train your own service dog so I did. It was the best choice I made since I knew how to train a dog and I also found a good trainer for the tasks I needed also. It also was cheeper for me when it came to how I did it too. I got to get a dog that really worked out for me and a breed that was suited for me too since I had allergies. I work with her a lot training never really stops as far as I am conserned.
My son also works with her and I have her evaluated often with the trainer I use though it has been a while since I was able to do that. But He had assured me I had nothing to worry about that
Sadie was well trained and behaved for a service dog.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '14 7:47pm PST 
thanks for letting me know about that organization! i've been frustrated at not hearing back from some places for the past few days, but i just found out that there's a local trainer who specializes in the kind of service dog i'm looking for!! snoopy
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '14 5:08am PST 
Cool Good for you
[notify]