|Barked: Thu Jul 24, '14 9:12pm PST |
|i’m 21, live in GA and have struggled with anxiety disorder NOS and recurrent episodes of major depressive disorder, especially since around 2008.
these conditions are disabling, but i'm not on disability income or anything yet.
i’ve recently done a lot of research on psychiatric service dogs and think that having one would help me. i’ve even made a list of over ten tasks that a dog could do to improve my life.
i’ve also made a list of organizations throughout the country that i might meet the criteria for, including:
- Canine Assistants (GA)
- Paws of Mind Service Dogs (FL)
- Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs (FL)
- Florida Service Dogs (FL)
- Made in Texas Assistance Dogs (TX)
- Pawsitivity Service Dogs (MN)
- American Service Dog Association (MO)
- Laughing Eyes Kennels (NM)
- Pawsible Independence Assistance Dogs (CA)
- Little Angels Service Dogs (CA)
as far as i can tell, these all serve GA and are open to non-military people for mental health assistance dogs. these organizations vary in whether they are entirely free, cost money to apply, and/or cost money for the dog. i know that there are people who train their own service dogs, but i don’t think i would be a good candidate for that without a local trainer on board to help, which i don’t have the money to fund.
have any of you worked with any of these organizations, or do you have any other advice for me?
thanks in advance!
|my posts|| [notify]|