GO!

Can this be fixed?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Brue

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '14 5:48pm PST 
My dog Brue was adopted with the hopes of him becoming my service dog. When we adopted him he was confident, laid back, and attentive and the rescue told us that he had the potential to become a service dog. The plan was to do basic obedience at home and then hire a trainer for public access and task training. The problem is lately he has seemed very shy and clingy to me. He follows me from room to room and is a little shy when strangers try to pet him. We have only had him for 3 months. My question is can this new shyness be fixed so that he can still become a service dog one day? Any advice would be helpful.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Jul 7, '14 6:03am PST 
Any answer you get on here is going to be an educated guess at best. You really need to find an experienced service dog trainer to do a full evaluation on your dog. They will be able to tell you if this can be fixed or if this is going to be a deal breaking issue.

My educated opinion is that this could go both ways. It really depends on how bad the fears are and what they're for. Part of what you're describing sounds like separation anxiety.. and that will need to be worked on if you plan to keep this dog, service dog or no service dog.
[notify]
Brue

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '14 6:58pm PST 
Thank you for your response. We have been looking for a service dog trainer but we have had no luck finding anyone yet.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 3, '14 2:45pm PST 
What state are you in I have a really good trainer who trains service dogs. But I am in maine.
[notify]