GO!

just wondering

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 11:47am PST 
My dog had puppies and my daughter got Attached to a puppy who wil sit in her lap while she does treatments 2 days ago I started noticing the puppy wineing when it was about time for her treatments I give her one he lays in her lap while she gets it started researching medical dogs maybe sence ive trained dogs in search n rescue and 4h how hard would it be to certify him as her dog.. any ideas how I can make it happen
[notify]
Mochi

The Big Cheese

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '14 2:57am PST 
Just because a dog bonds well with someone doesn't mean they have what it takes to be a service dog, and just because a dog whines doesn't mean it's alerting. Perhaps it's whining to go out, or whining to play, or whining to get in a lap, or perhaps even just whining to whine.

The dog is a young puppy from the sound of it, if you wish for this dog to have a chance at being a service dog, first and foremost you need to find a trainer who you like, and whose training style is one that meshes with your needs. That trainer should evaluate the puppy and tell you if the puppy is not suitable. Reasons the pup may not be suitable include but are not limited to: Health issues, skittish, fearful or shy temperament, aggression of any kind. Should your trainer evaluate the puppy to be of the right health and temperament to continue, I'd socialize the puppy with everything you can think of and find. Sounds, smells, textures, surfaces... all of that needs to be taught, and the puppy exposed to. Then you need to go to a basic obedience class with the puppy. I'd have your daughter be involved in the training to the best of her capabilities. Beyond that you need to just see how the pup does in obedience and with socialization, and follow your trainer's lead in terms of graduating into a Service Dog In Training role and beginning public access.

Best of luck.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 25, '14 6:51pm PST 
I work with people who are blind and frequently have to update myself on service animal qualifications and legislation. Service animals can be a bit of a hot topic, ex: While emotional support animals currently may be exempt from pet policies in housing, they aren't considered service animals in public access cases. A dog's personality and bond with it's owner is definitely a big component, as well as professional training.

As the law is written right now, these are the three main, basic requirements for service animals:
1. It must be required by a disability
2. It must perform a specific job or task related to the disability
3. It must be well behaived, groomed and under control at all times.

One thing I wish more people knew is that service dogs should be ignored when working. If my student's dog guide thinks every other pedestrian is going to give it attention, it might not pay attention to where it's leading it's owner! Also, it can be very time consuming and annoying for that person who is trying to go somewhere!
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '14 7:19am PST 
I think that is a good beginning but a puppy is too young to be a service dog it still has a long way to go. You need though to begin at the beginning and that would be to start socailizing it witch sound like you have started that off really good. I Got Sadie when she she was a older Puppy and she had a lot of her basics down well enough. But I find I am never done training her witch is the key thing with a working dog. Good luck!
[notify]