GO!

Coping without the dog.

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Stryker

I want your ice- cubes

Barked: Sat Jun 7, '14 1:32am PST 
Stryker is 8 years old today. His retirement party is on the 29th this month. He is my third full SD. I have gone without a SD for periods of time in the past and it is really hard.

My husband left me the beginning of this year so I don't really have a service human anymore.

I live with a wonderful friend who also has a SD, and just going places with them help more than not being with anyone. I also have another friend who I hang out with a lot who also has a service dog.

I have a plan for getting a puppy this late fall. I am just panicking about being alone. I don't want to be unresponsive on the train and people freak out and call 911 and the whole 9-yards.

-sigh- I need either a band aid to make me non-disabled for 12 months or a time machine so I can go to when my puppy is born.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jun 9, '14 3:54am PST 
Will you keep Stryker? Even if retired, he could be with you part of the time. Also, if he is in good health, why retire? Maybe he could work part time like older people do. He may have have as many as 10 years left. (I have never lost a larger dog before 16 and Fritz is going strong at 10)

Edited by author Mon Jun 9, '14 3:55am PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 4, '14 3:14am PST 
I am doing that now because of cercomstances I am living with out my Sadie it is hard but I am doing it. I wish it were different though I am some what feeling only half there now.
[notify]

Stryker

I want your ice- cubes

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '14 10:41pm PST 
I completely forgot that I made this post. >.>

I am keeping Stryker, and no he isn't in good health. He had surgery in July to remove a mast cell tumor. He doesn't want to work anymore, and I wont be forcing him.

ETA: Bullmastiffs generally don't live past 10-12.

Edited by author Sat Aug 9, '14 10:43pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '14 4:25pm PST 
hug I'm sorry Striker is in poor health. We are wishing you all of the best.hug
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '14 5:17am PST 
That is the sadest part of having that breed I am worried cause I have a mix breed.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Aug 15, '14 3:37pm PST 
Stryker, I don't have any advice, but I can empathize. Harley will be 11 next week. He has Chronic Kidney Disease. Luckily we were able to get his numbers back down to within normal range, and as of last check they were stable. (Next check is Monday). He still wants to work, and is able to do short trips (which is all I'm able to do), so he's still working. But, honestly, I don't know for how much longer. I do have his successor, but she is a 17 mo old Rottie puppy who is currently in the middle of teen hood. She is not ready for public access training, and Harley is insanely jealous of her. Right or wrong, I will not upset Harley.

So, there will almost certainly be a gap between service dogs. That scares the crap out of me.

I do hope that the vet was able to get all of the mast cell tumor before it spread.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '14 6:10am PST 
It makes Sadie's and my situation less taxing though any separation is sad when you count on someone so much. I say someone cause our dogs are not things they are living and have feelings.
[notify]