GO!

Want service dog and have very limited options/resources, help!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Fri Jan 31, '14 8:59pm PST 
Hello everyone, I am new to Dogster and decided to try it because I found while scouring the internet trying to find information on PSDs. I am an 18 year old university student and I have been suffering from mental health issues for about four or five years now. I am on medication which is not really helping and is risky for me to take due to other medical problems within my family. Looking for other alternatives, I discovered service dogs which seemed like a fantastic idea because I love animals and being around my dogs back at home always helped me to feel a little better. The only issue is that every organization that trains and provides service dogs that I have contacted (numerous times) have not responded and I have been unable to find any more resources in my area. Another issue for me is the fact that since I am a student I have little to no budget and training a dog would potentially be difficult with having class. But on the other hand my illness is really affecting my schooling and my life so I feel like I could create a schedule within which I could train a dog if need be I just have no idea where to start or what to do. I am located in Guelph, ON and I would greatly appreciate any help or advice since I have been struggling for information for months now! Thanks guys- my email is smlang8@hotmail.com
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Feb 1, '14 9:21am PST 
If you are in Canada, which I see you are, have you tried contacted MIRA? Their dogs are not only for the visually impairedsmile
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 1, '14 11:10pm PST 
Thank you! I had not heard of them and I will try to get into contact with them
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Feb 3, '14 3:13pm PST 
http://www.mira.ca/en/

good luck hug
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 2:11pm PST 
That is cool hope it all worked out for you
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 2:27am PST 
Thank you! I had not heard of them and I will try to get into contact with them
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '14 8:06am PST 
Good luck again I hope it has been a good search for you.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 9:54pm PST 
Im not sure if you have found what you are looking for but there is a non-profit organization that is just taking off here in Texas. They primarily work with veterans like myself in providing medical alert service dogs. I was able to go to the facility and hand pick my dog that I wanted and shortly after I was able to stay at the facility for 5 days to work with my new service dog after it was already trained. They said they deal with people world wide so it might be something to look in to. www.bdfrc.com
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 11:45pm PST 
Guest, having just a short look at the 'program' ( I hesitate to call it that) that you linked I wouldn't advise anyone to get near it with a 50 foot pole. Not only is their site an absolute nightmare of misspelled words, miss mashed sentences and horrible grammar but they have a very poor understanding of dog behavior and training shown by their information.

I hope the dog you have is well trained but I have serious doubts on the abilities of these people to correctly train a dog.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun May 25, '14 7:02am PST 
After training Sadie I found it easyer to train my own dog I felt safer and I found it built a stronger bond. Not sure if in canada they allow self training though. I would go to a rescue if it were possible and find a dog that had good basic commands and work form there this is my plan for my next service dog.
[notify]