GO!

Feeding Service Dogs in the Grocery Store

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 1:15am PST 
Hi,

I was at the grocery store deli and saw a handler giving deli meats to a service dog in training. They laid the pieces down on the floor and the dog was laying down to eat it. Is that part of training? I've never seen a dog eat while "on duty." The handler was also straddling over the dog during her shopping and rushing ahead of me when I asked someone where to find the deli.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 10:26am PST 
Often handlers of dogs in training will carry treats with them to reward good behavior. Since a Service dog in training(SDit) is still learning it is important that the handler be able to encourage correct behavior. Even with fully trained service dogs some handlers may carry treats for various reasons. A dog is never completely 'done' they always require maintenance training both to improve the bond and to make sure the dog stays sharp on and off duty.

That said feeding the dog a slice of deli meat is bad etiquette and highly inappropriate. I'll be honest, I've carried 'human' food for my SDit more than once, but never feed a dog something I've just bought. However there isn't really a law against it. So other than being inappropriate there isn't much you could say. shrug

Unfortunately there is no book of etiquette to explain to new handlers, or owner trainers how to handle themselves and their dog appropriately in different situations. It's up to either the program, or in cases of Owner trainers themselves to figure out what is and is not acceptable to do in various situations. I would say use common sense but what I find to be common sense and what other's find to be common sense isn't always the same thing. Either way a handler should strive for their partner to be as invisible as possible while doing their duties.

Edited by author Sun Jan 5, '14 10:26am PST

[notify]
Zoey

SDit

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 4:18pm PST 
Feeding in a grocery store, no its wrong, but keep in mind "feeding" and "treating" are to different things. Treating is ok treats are small and would take less then 2 seconds for a dog or pup to eat, any big peaces are more like feeding and that should be done at home. plus i would never feed your treat my SD off of the floor, to me that's like saying eating food of the floor is ok, and its not.

we all should help put together a "book of etiquette" for new SD handlers and owner trainers( and have it be toldly FREE! I love free stuff XD ). being an owner trainer myself I wish I would have had one when I started Zoey's training. I started a Google drive doc I think I made it so anyone can edit, if you cant then just post or email me your email address so I can add you or just tell me what you want to add in an email and I will add it for you smile my email is casie.dogskillz@gmail.com and here is the link to the doc happy dance

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mHnTMdHoPjtSOz9cVmZphAnIc xF9tb_tZ_h-XizjfUM/edit?usp=sharing
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 6:00pm PST 
I'm actually already working on a book of etiquette, but considering how few days I have that are 'good' days that I can write and research it may take a while.
[notify]
Zoey

SDit

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 6:16pm PST 
that's great! I do hope you get more good days( and great days) and when you finish your book make sure to let me know I'd love to read it cheer
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 5:28pm PST 
I appreciate the response and feel it was wrong for the trainer/owner to push ahead of me to get to the counter and then to lay down meats and wait for it to be eaten while her large breed dog was laying across the floor where people walked. She seemed like she liked the attention and wanted people to take notice. I should have asked for her training card because it seemed as though she had no trouble hustling ahead of me to the counter being cross-eyed. She was tripping over the dog when she would have been fine without it.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 8:27pm PST 
It is Never appropriate for a regular customer to ask for ID on a service dog. If you feel like there is a problem you can notify management but it is then up to them to do something about it. The person may well have been faking that the dog was a service dog but that isn't for you to judge. A lot of disabilities are invisible.

Her behavior was inappropriate but that isn't something that general customers should police.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 10:54am PST 
I dont like people paying attention let a lone feeding sadie in the store to see some doing it to their own SD is desturbing. I am pretty sure it is bad training. The dog is going to think it is ok to eat in the store or drool where food is. I am not likely to geive advice or contradict someone in their training but it just sounds wrong.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 2:27pm PST 
I personally wouldn't let my dog to eat off the floor, anywhere (not even my pet dogs). SD programs (and owner trainers as well) devote a lot of training (and well they should) teaching dogs to refuse food from strangers and to refuse food dropped on the floor. However it's not up to me to judge what others choose to do with their own dogs.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun May 25, '14 7:30am PST 
I know this is a old post but is a good point for a lot of fist timmers who are just starting out in their training a SD. I don't as a rule feed sadie a treat exspecially in a store I don't want her to get the idea she is going to get food there. I treat her now always when she has done very well after we come home. I use to treat her a lot but now it is that way. I don't want her expecting a treat all the time either. Her training now has been if she has done a good job when out working and has had a good day. If we are out for a long day then she is treated with something she normally dose not get in her normal day. I have had a few insidents with her when in a pet store so I am now making sure she has no issues of food related. I know her being a bully breed dog she can have some food related agression if she were around strangers. though there has been none I still prepare for it.
[notify]