GO!

Questions on hands free leads

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Diesel

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 10:29am PST 
My daughter uses a traffic tab with Diesel. If there is a task, clothes shopping etc) when she wants to use both hands, she jus t drops the lead, leaving Diesel in a "wait". I do not see this as best practice. He would NEVER wander, but a lead doesn't interfere with his function, so I would prefer he remain on lead. Plus, if she were to have a bad seizure, she may lose her grip on the traffic tab. The other scenario I've actually seen is she seizes, and holds onto the lead so tightly that Diesel cannot block pedestrian traffic to protect her from being walked on - then he is frantic because he cannot perform his duty. Any pointers on how to go hands free safely and effectively?
[notify]
May

May: A mutt with- a big heart

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 1:15pm PST 
This mayor may not be appropriate but when I run I use a lead which attaches around the waist but has a loop for using normally as well. I know it isn't the same reasoning obviously but it does allow me to run hands free without disturbing my gait or jerking the dog about, AND there is a velcro loop which allows the dog to free itself with a sharp tug(idea when running is to stop injury if the human goes one way around a lamppost and the dog another) but surely this same mechanism sould allow the dog to free itself in the event of your daughter having a seizure? If you want to try it out I think in the us the company k9 commando makes something similar
Normally i would add a note about the fast release mechanism being suitable for well trained pups only, but as we are talking about an SD that seems superfluous.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:43pm PST 
I use a leash that goes over my head and one shoulder when Samson is working. It clips to his harness without me having to hold it. This works great as he does mobility work so I need to be able to brace on him and he needs to be able to move to different positions around me to provide the needed bracing. It has worked great so far.
[notify]

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 6:18pm PST 
I think I may have the same one Samson is talking about but maybe not. But it goes over my head and one shoulder too.

I LOVE it! It's so convenient having hands free but still in control if needed. It has different rings on the leash so your dog can be different distances from you. It also comes with a free patch for the lead which I chose "Do Not Pet". The leash is a decent price too.

I got mine plus all my other SD supplies from activedogs.com; love the company and love their products.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 7:11pm PST 
Harley is a seizure alert and response dog. I use an over the shoulder leash and love it. I had to go back to a normal leash for almost a year after hurting my shoulder (then surgery and PT), but am finally able to use my over the shoulder, hands free leash again. It makes life so much easier.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 4:54am PST 
Thanks guys! Next question is, are there any tricks to using them that we need to know? Safety tips? Anything would be helpful, she's kind of balking about using it, but she does about anything new lol. BTW, Diesel does siezure alert/response, ambulatory mobility assistance - if that makes any difference.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 7:48am PST 
Diesel...Same kind of service dog I have (only he no longer does mobility work). I would say that when she first starts using it, do it over the shoulder but still hold the leash with her hand similar to how she would if it were a normal leash, only the hand wouldn't be on the handle, but on the leash itself. As both she and the dog become more comfortable with it, she'll start dropping her hand. Don't push her to do it, it will come naturally. I generally only hold the leash if we are in a crowded situation now, but I've been using it for about 5 years. It took me a while to feel comfortable and safe not holding the leash.
[notify]
Darcy

I have just met- you and I love- you

Barked: Sun Oct 27, '13 9:25pm PST 
I have a hands free leash, it is the PetSafe hands free leash. I really like it and it is very comfortable and works well. It is supposed to be for running, but it works just great for my SDIT.
https://www.google.com/#q=petsafe hands free leash
The leash it comes with is also adjustable, which I find very helpful and convenient.

Edited by author Sun Oct 27, '13 9:26pm PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 6:01am PST 
I have looked at hands free leashes and found that alls I needed was a climmers clip (not shure the name of it) and it works just as good and not exspencive. Saved me money and hands are free to shop as I feel like it.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 8:27pm PST 
We ended up getting a 6' Euro schutzhund leash. She's in LOVE! Red leather, 6 way lead. She uses it across her body. She doubles up the first adjustment to make a loop handle. She's afraid of not having some kind of handle. We appreciate all the advise! Thanks for the help!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2