GO!

getting an SD

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Sam

My Sammi

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 2:58pm PST 
I guess none of you read the last part of my post that stated that there was a lot more I could go into, but that I just covered the bones of it; you seem, also, to have read a lot into what I wrote.

I was hoping to give the origional poster some hope, because it doesn't have to be such a bad trip. I guess I assumed he/she was somewhat intellegent and capable of learning from a trainer; you all appear to have assumed the opposite.

I guess it's true that opinions are like butt-holes...everyone has one and they all stink!

I was very fortunate to have the right pup come along at the right time, have a well-informed, capable trainer, the time and inclination to do research, have a supportive family, and was willing to invest myself completely in the process. I was ready to heal, and the good Lord made these blessings available...but I still had to do the work to avail myself of said blessings. And all at little more cost than my "pet" dogs.

If you're not willing to put your heart and soul into it full time, you won't get the full benefit from it, no matter how great the dog is, or the outfit that gets it and trains it for you is. In the end, it all comes down to you.

To the origional poster, again I wish you Godspeed in your search. Don't listen to the nay-sayers and woe-is-me crowd, keep your head up and your eyes on the goal!
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 9:00pm PST 
Sam, it may have been a wonderful easy journey with your dog but that is not the case with most owner trainers. It's better for someone to learn about all the hardships while still in the decision making process. It's called being prepared.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 9:39pm PST 
Sam, the sad fact is that the average person isn't up to Owner Training. One of the programs determined that only 1 out of 100 shelter dogs have what it takes vs 7 of 8 when using proven breeding stock. They didn't pull that number out of their butts; they tried it out and found it wasn't worth the effort if their job was to create Service Dogs.

Getting a SD isn't like choosing most other pieces of medical equipment. It isn't always about getting your favorite color or even breed; it's about getting what will get the job done and even realizing at times that you aren't ready for it. OT'ing isn't a cake walk; it means getting off your butt and getting out in public to work the dog even though your medical issue (be it anxiety, diabetes, migraines, etc) is wanting to take center stage (yet again).

Those looking at OT'ing because they think it is cheaper don't need it sugar coated. They need to know the hard facts.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Nov 2, '13 9:21pm PST 
I grew up around dogs, and am pretty good at basic obedience/behavior and task/trick training.

A few years ago I went to stay with my mother, and her dog was horrible. He would bite or try to bite if you tried to pick him up. He also didn't like to cuddle or be held. After just a couple of months I got him to a point of him letting me pick him up and getting him to be more affectionate. Now he is always wanting to be held, or cuddled.

My ex's dog was a puppy when we got her, and I worked with her everyday on training. She is one of those dogs that people are like "OMG how did you train her to do that! that is so cool!" If I had gotten "custody" when he and I split up, she would have been the perfect candidate for me to train as an SD.

I think I would prefer to own the dog and be involved with the process from the beginning rather than wait years to get a pre trained dog. I love teaching, whether it be kids or critters. I have also done research on different ways to train dogs, and watched videos of a woman training her SD. I know the actual training won't be cheap easy or quick, but paying as I go for training doesn't seem to give me that "holy crap where am I going to get that money?" feeling, as much as seeing how much people want for a pre-trained dog.

I am scheduled to receive a dog tomorrow(today technically) that I am rescuing from a neglectful situation, I do not know yet if she is a candidate for training as an SD, I just couldn't let her stay in that situation anymore.
I plan on working with her for a couple of months and see if she can be trained to be an SD, if not, I will keep her for an emotional support pet. Which would work out in a way with having to wait years for a trained SD.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 10:31pm PST 
I agree with Oberon. Best to research about the company first. smile
[notify]
Beowulfs- Beauregard- CGC CGCA

What's too big- mean?

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 11:50pm PST 
I would check IAAPD's website and maybe ADI's website if you are looking for a trainer or program. OT is not easy and heartbreaking if the dog washes out, but not all dog are suited to be SDs.
My first dog was from a program, my second was with the help of a trainer, and my third is OT with some help towards the end (for balance work). Even my OT dog went to classes from 4 months old until 20 months. Plus we had to log our training hours and video everything in case there ever was a question of legality. OT is harder than raising 10K for a dog, trust me I've done both. Plus Owner/trainers are on the hook for every piece of equipment they will need during the training process and after, even if the dog outgrows it. Programs dogs come trained with their necessary equipment. This can be very expensive. If you have a panic attack and will need a harness for your dog to guide or brace you, a good one can run upwards of $600.
Think of all the pros and cons before you make a decision. Good luck!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '14 11:44am PST 
My Daughter in Law just starting out she just got her paper for to get a service dog from her med manager now she is looking for a dog I am going to help her owner train and work with her dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2