GO!

Starting over???

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:53pm PST 
I'll post as Harley for now bc that is how everyone knows me. My sweet boy is getting ready to turn 10. He's not showing signs of slowing and I have no plans on retiring him soon, but Im not blind to his age either. So, after much planning, searching, consulting, I have a puppy prospect, a 5 mo old Rottie named Makeda. I'll work on medical response and, eventually, mobility, and pray she can alert.

I have so many mixed emotions as I can't imagine working any dog but Harley. Right now, we are settling in, letting the pack get adjusted, and bonding. The rest will come as its time.

It's hard to believe I'm starting all over, but we all do it sometime.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:59pm PST 
Nice to see you, Harley!

Congratulations on your new puppy prospect. : )
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 7:31pm PST 
Both congratulations on your new prospect as well as condolences on Harley's age. It's always awful having to retire the partner that you rely on so heavily, but at the same time a new puppy can be a fun new adventure.
[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 4:20am PST 
Iris, Thank you. I know it's been a long time. I've been mostly in my FB groups, but recently not even there a lot. Life got insane about a yr ago. It started with Isaac, then Harley had a series of benign growths that had to be removed bc of their location (and tested bc Im paranoid), then we bought a home and FINALLY got out of the camper. That has been great. But, in. The middle of getting the land ready, I had a terribly violent surgery that led to a severely injured shoulder. I was stubborn and wouldn't go to the doc until we got the house (and I was in the office a week after we moved in), but by then (2 mo), I had a frozen shoulder. Then I had surgery March 18 bc I ripped that sucker to shreds: tearing my labrum, bicep, and rotator cuff. 8 weeks later, I woke up with my left hand in agonizing pain and completely unusable, and was diagnosed with CRPS (like I needed anymore letters) and Duyuptrens Disease. (Cosmic joke...right). At almost 20 weeks, Im still in PT, but that should conclude by the end of the month. I won't have the range I had pre injury but I will have "normal" function (I was hypermobile). The hand...well, we'll get it as good as we can but CRPS isn't fixable. Luckily, I discovered Harley already had the skill set needed to help.

Happy...Thank you. Harley isn't retiring yet. But I must prepare for that eventuality. You are right. That us very hard.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 8:48am PST 
Super good to see you on the boards again. Not sure how long you've been gone, I don't remember if I had Chaplin yet, but I had to retire Baby prematurely so I've started over with my doofy portuguese water dog, Chaplin =)

They progress and grow so fast though! I can't believe I've had him for more than a year already!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 11:02am PST 
Nice to see you Harley and I missed you here though I to have not been online much ad very rarely on FB. Wasted some money joining a Dog scout group and did not find one in my area. Been sorta like you dragging my feet a lil more so on getting myself ready to move and finding a place to move to. Might be doing a room mate thing.not sure yet about that.
[notify]
Brady SD

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 9:58pm PST 
Awesome to see you back Harley's mom. Glad all the medical problems were solved well. Best wishes on the new candidate. smile
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 5:02am PST 
That's how I felt about Voltaire when I first got Wizzy frown
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 8:38am PST 
I am afraid of the idea of starting over I don't think I can or will be able to. I am already thinking about getting a refresh on my Doc. letter. Not even sure I will be able to deal with a move cause of the new enviroment I will have to deal with.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 10:59pm PST 
I wish the medical issues were resolved. I temporarily added another disability (lasted longer than 6 mo...so technically, my shoulder was) and permanently added 2 more. I keep tellin the drs that I really don't need any more letters after my name.

I am petrified of starting over, to be perfectly honest. But today is Harley's 10th birthday. He's still going strong, but I can't put my head in the sand forever.

Anyway, Im not on a lot between the new house (we moved...did I tell y'all?), the new puppy (so 4 big dogs), PT, drs appts, and just...well...life. A yr ago I made a statement that life was boring and I needed some excitement. A year ago next week it started with Isaac and hasn't stopped. Really...seriously...life can get boring again.
[notify]