GO!

Do you tell people your SD's name?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ryker

Gimme my- balllllll!!!!!!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 10:49am PST 
Do you?

Edited by author Mon Sep 23, '13 4:42pm PST

[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:42am PST 
Absolutely not. When people ask for Chaplin's or Baby's name I give them the name "Shadow."
[notify]
Aqwar

If u keep starin- her leg might- grow back

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:45am PST 
I use Fido haha
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 1:37pm PST 
I usually cave and tell. Of course, they immediately use her name. I use it as an exercise in "ignore."

I do it because I use her name frequently as we work and figure people will hear her name anyway.

However, maybe next time I will tell them her name is something like Iris Dawn. Perhaps the extra syllable will make the name sound unfamiliar to my SD.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 10:51pm PST 
My husband generally calls Tank his Tank-a-dank. I'm not exactly sure why but he does it and Tank will look at him pretty quickly. It depends on whats going on but generally if asked for his name we give his full name of Abrams Tank. He was given that name as a pup because he was built like a little Tank.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 7:53am PST 
I do and then sometimes I don't... but why lie if I am going to talk to sadie and I say her name so she will pay attention to me. Her whole name is Crazy Sadie Lady and I will more or less tell them that. We have pet names for her like sadykins and Sadie bum that she response to some times. But the only response is her tail or ears and that would but form a fimlar voice.
Since each one of use has a nick name for her and she responds to that person who says that nick name for her. I think it defines them for her cause she knows who is talking to her. If it is a stranger she will ignore them.
[notify]
Cromm- Crúai- ch CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 8:39am PST 
Cruaich being the breed he is has a pretty high level of stranger wariness to begin with so if people know his name he won't respond to it anyways and they likely won't be able to say it correctly anyways xD

However the little Border Collie mix that I'm also training is cray-cray to the max. His "down" command is "Felix" which when people ask what his name is that's what I tell them.

Sneaky sneaky.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 9:53am PST 
How exactly do you pronounce Cruaich?

I like the Felix/down trick, very clever!
[notify]
Cromm- Crúai- ch CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 10:44am PST 
Felix / Down is a trick I started originally with my Pitbull mix. He has a very low bite threshold with people and people are constantly saying "come here puppy. Hi puppy." So if he here's the words "come" or "hi" he hits the floor. xD

Such a handy trick

C2's full name is his "come" command and it's pronounced Kromm-Kuh-Roo-Ick. If I just need him to look at me it's just Kuh-Roo-Ick. 99% of the people we say his name "Cru-ick" or they say Keurig. xD
[notify]
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 9:11pm PST 
When I give a command to my SD Sienna I use a certain inflection or use her nickname to do so. So it's "SEEE-enna, sit." or "Sen, sit." When I use her name pronounced normally, it's usually just to love on her or tell her that she's silly. So when I tell people her name and they repeat it in a normal way, she knows she's not being issued a command and will usually ignore them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2