GO!

Chaplin was just attacked by another dog need hugs support and recommendations

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:31pm PST 
I agree, go see the vet, puncture wounds can be worse than they look and get infected easily. She does need to pay for the vet visit and you should lodge a complaint. Not only is your dog at risk but other innocent people walking their dogs are at risk as well.
I hope the visit goes well and charlie is better soon.
[notify]
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 6:46am PST 
My SD was attacked by a loose dog about a week after bringing her home from her program. There was no immediate damage, but there were a few weeks after where she began to get upset when she saw other dogs. I began carrying treats with me and giving her major jackpots when we passed other dogs on the streets or other service dogs in stores. She still occasionally gets a little nervous, but I can get her to focus back on me very quickly now even in those instances.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 4:09pm PST 
I went from house to house but couldn't find the owner, I think she went out of town because only one of the houses wasn't occupied.

We went to the vet early today and he got cleaned out just in case.

Our trainer came over and we went out to see how he was. Didn't encounter any dogs but we did go back to Starbucks and he did really well =). He seems pretty unfazed, and there was probably more damage done to me than him red face
[notify]

Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 7:14pm PST 
I would contact animal control as well to report what happened. If the dog has shown aggression towards other dogs in the past the family needs to handle that but probably won't unless they have a legal reason to do so. Bella was attacked by another dog and we are still working through her aggression issues a little more than a year later. I would follow any advice that your trainer is giving you about reassuring Chaplin that dogs aren't all bad. Other than that? I would just say be patient with him.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 7:39pm PST 
I am sorry that that happened to you and chaplin and U, I feel like you need to talk to that person or have someone talk to them about what their dog did to your SD.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 9:53am PST 
You're doing great!

Keep up the exposure to safe, non-reactive dogs as much as you can, even if it is just passing them on the sidewalk.

For yourself, do your best to be calm and confident whenever you approach another dog. Make sure you are not tensing in anticipation of something bad happening. Chaplin can pick up on that and learn the same thing. Have him learn your confidence instead.

This is a lesson I learned from direct experience. It is very difficult for my body to let go of traumatic events. But for my dog, I will strive to do the improbable.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 5:11pm PST 
I hope chaplin is better I am sorry that that happen to him I am not sure if resocializing him will help but I would try....
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:04am PST 
I always carry pepper spray. It might also hit my dog, so when I'm prepared to use it on an attacking dog, I also am aware that my dog may be going to the vet as well. I try to use it before it's in range of my dog, but wind affects that. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's prevented vet bills for my dog several times. As for the other dog, I feel it's the owners problem and penalty for allowing their dog out of control
[notify]
Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 8:45am PST 
Hugs and kisses for poor Chaplin. We hope he has a swift mental and physical recovery and is back to his normal self soon.

I second the pepper spray thing. When we moved to Indianapolis there were stray / owned but unleashed dogs everywhere and after one almost-bite to my SD's face I always carried pepper spray. My SD did so much to protect me, it was the least I could do to protect him.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 12:15pm PST 
Hope you solve this soon for Chaplin and I think he will recover very well I think. My new worker has the same breed and she said that they can be very adaptible. As I said I hope he dose welland recovers.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3