GO!

College 'checking' service dogs to get inside

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Karmalita

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 4:26pm PST 
There is a large building at my college where 85% of students study and use computers. I walked into the building and was waiting by the elevator when a lady came to me and said I had to go to the front desk. Thinking that I dropped something on the way in, the girl at the front desk said that she had to check if my service dog is real. And asked if she was registered. It took me a moment to process this because of hearing the word register. I told her the obvious rules and that she doesnt have to be registered and shes my real service dog. Then they sent me on my way. I went in a week later and was confronted again by another front desk person.

Just to be sure, even colleges can't do this right? This seems totally out of place. and its only this one building.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 5:52pm PST 
Whenever I am in doubt, I phone the ADA hotline: 1 800 514-0301. I also refer business owners (or in this case, front desk personnel) to the same number if they have questions after I have tried to educate.
[notify]
Brady SD

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 10:32pm PST 
You might want to check with the college's disability services office, sometimes, from what I have read on the S&TD forum here, they require you to 'register' that you have the SD on campus. Even though most colleges are under federal law from receiving federal funding, I believe most still want to know that you indeed need/have the SD. Generally they address each student on a case by case basis.

Google things like "Dogster college service dog" and see what others have posted in the past on Dogster S&TD, I bet there will be lots of information.

If it seems to just be an issue with that particular staff at that building, and not all over campus, you might want to also tell the Disability services, so they can politely update and retrain their staff on procedures/ etiquette for SD handlers.

This is why I'm glad I'm currently a distance student, though I read my college's policy, which is more detailed that the ADA, a little more.. restrictive, though nothing too far fetched. Look up your own school's rules about SDs for the same details.

Good luck and best wishes on your finals.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 8:43am PST 
That is a lil up setting Karma I wonder if they know what they are really asking for or if they are awear that they are breaking a law?
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 1:22pm PST 
I work in a collage dorm food service. we have had a few SD in the place and you would not believe(well, you prolly would) all the times I have had to stop other employees or even other students from hassleing them.that includes a few of the managers.they are allowed on campus, but the guidelines have never really been clearly outlined.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 5:47am PST 
I am still working on finachal aid for my adventure in to college but I may end up on a campus after all cause I will be up in the area of one. Though still a lil apreahensive about it since I never did well in high school or any of my schools really. I was always getting out of class early so I could get to my other classes before a crowd hit. I had panic attacks form the idea of it and hid in the bath room close by a class I was going to next so I did not have to deal with a mob going through the hall.
I will keep thinking about all this and find out what the colleges around where I move to are going to be like.
[notify]