GO!

Not sure if my service dog is full breed

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 4:09pm PST 
I'm not sure why your post in the GSD forum was deleted either. Was wondering where it went.

Different lines of German Shepherds (American show, West German show, West German working, East German working, Czech) are all still GSDs and are all still considered purebred dogs, even if you have a mixing of the lines. Different bloodlines, one breed.

As Bianca said, there are German Shepherds of all size. Some people focus primarily on breeding for size, so you also see the so-called "old-fashioned" German Shepherds which are much larger and taller than the standard calls for. The majority of GSDs I see are actually oversized.

If the parents were actually registered, it's a little odd the litter wasn't registered and/or you weren't given papers when you bought him. But as long as you weren't planning to show in conformation or participate in other activities that require the dog to be purebred, it doesn't really matter if you can prove he is or not. He certainly looks pure, but he doesn't need to be purebred to be a service dog.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 3:53pm PST 
Why does it matter what he is, if he does his job?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 7:22pm PST 
I am sorry I don't mean to be rude but "What does it matter," if your dog is full breed or not?
I mean he does his tasks? Right? He is a good dog? I don't know why you are worried about him
being a full blooded dog? Sadie is sorta a new breed She mainly is in the bully family and that is all that matters to me cause I feel she will be able to deal with all the work I got her for and she is very loving. That is what matters to me....
[notify]

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:37pm PST 
I have to agree with Sadie on this. My husband's first two Service Dogs Buddy a yellow lab and Katana a doberman were both pure bred and although both were pure breeds they were not without their problems. Katana died last summer of a heart attack. Buddy was stolen but we were told when we got him from someone else that he had been exposed to Parvo. His current dog Abrams Tank was seen by the vet a few weeks ago and so far so good. Tank is a mixed breed half German Shepherd half lab and is so mellow and happy go lucky its funny. He has this insane play drive that tends to turn into a very insane work drive when he needs to go to work. Its like a switch is flipped in his head. He can be in the middle of a game of ball with the hubby and I grab his vest,halti,harness and leash and he settles down and gets ready to go to work. So pure or mixed breeds as long as they are willing to work and can do their tasks efficiently it shouldnt matter
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:25am PST 
Yeah as I said really what dose it matter like tuck and I said as long as he does his job well Who really cares? Pedagree is not the key here as for a SD it is performance that matters.
I am so frustrated with people on here making a big deal out of their Perbreaded SD's. I could say and it is true as of most breeds you can take other vertions of the same breed, and breed them but still have the same breed just another look. I have a bully breed and I still can call her a full blooded breed.
[notify]
Blondie

Love is eternal- hope.

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 1:36am PST 
I think that all this case is a completly rubbish. The standards for breeding GS and all the breeding criteria should be given by the country of origin.

That menas that there are not exist any eastern and western types. If the country of origin is just a one. (and its a Germany, - if we are still talking about GS - mabye eastern and western Germany, but its still a Germany and itÅ› shurely have nothing to do with the rest of EU . If im misinterpreting som informations please feel free to correct me. )

Standard said, that GS is a versatile usable dog, whose breeding license is overmore depending on the working test examinations. That means that there cannot be any show and working lines, because all the breeding dogs still has the same minimum standards for working.

Standard is just a one, and everybody who is breading a non-standard individuals, trying to mark them like an work, shows, eastern and western types is unserious breeder whose only one purpose is to enrich himself at the cost of someone else. Which is btw a federal crime.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 11:51am PST 
Sorry that his or her breed is not full if that is the case I don't think it should be a problem.
A SD dose not have to be a perblood. But I am sure you got the jest of it.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2