GO!

Best place for ID/mobility harness for golden retriever

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tsaile - ADOPTED

An angel clothed- in gold

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 5:51pm PST 
After 5 years in service, I'm looking into retiring my current service dog (an Italian Greyhound) and putting my Golden Retriever in service in her place. I am working with a local training group to teach her some of the more detailed tasks I now need since my disabilities have worsened to the point I have a lot of difficulty walking, and falls aren't uncommon. I also use a wheelchair a lot of the time. My Golden will be trained to pull my chair, assist with balance, as well as helping me up if I do fall, or alerting someone that I need help. The trainer I'm working with doesn't provide IDs or supplies, so I'm trying to find a place to order these items for Tsaile. The place I ordered Aiyana's from no longer does them, I liked the idea when I bought hers, they gave me one to clip onto her service vest, and another to keep in my wallet, so if some unknowing person wanted to see identification on my dog, it was easy to provide.

Mostly I need a mobility harness so she can help me with balance and/or getting up if I do fall, and also be able to be used as a pulling harness so she can pull me in my wheelchair. I also need to order an ID for her. I know this isn't legally required, but it sure makes access easier in a lot of situations!
[notify]
Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 8:33pm PST 
You realize if you go around flashing an ID it makes it harder for others who come after you who may not have an ID to show, because it is not required, yet some gatekeepers think that since ou showed one, they must be able to require one from every team. Please, do not get the ID to show around to just anyone.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:32am PST 
I have a Bold Lead Designs harness for Bella. I know that they are out of price range for some but it is what works best for my needs and Bella as well.

However PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get an ID card for this new service dog. I have one from my trainer and I told him that I don't want to have one but he insisted that I have it. I have already had problems with being asked for an ID card and had to fight with the gate keeper to gain access. Having an ID card that is clearly visible on your dog is only hurting your fellow handlers.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:58am PST 
I agree with everone ID cards only make it worse I have her service vaest and it is plainly marked that she is a Service dog and there is a card holder on it but I only have cards on what to do in case I am not able to talk. I figure that would be the only reason for ID emergency cards. It tells who I am and who Sadie is and info about who to contact if I can not tell them what they need to know.
I am getting pamphlets also for same reason.
[notify]
Tsaile - ADOPTED

An angel clothed- in gold

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 1:47pm PST 
I understand people's point on the ID issue - however I like having an ID, the one my current service dog has clearly states on the back "the owner/handler of this animal is presenting this card voluntarily and is not required to by law". I also carry cards with the ADA law that I can leave with people that ask for ID. I don't have it clearly visible, but I do carry the ID to avoid battles. I have bad social anxiety issues, and can't handle confrontation, so it's more for my benefit then anything.

That said, I'm more worried about where to get a good mobility harness for Tsaile then the ID. Money is tight, but I'm not against spending a bit more for a quality harness instead of buying a cheap one that'll wear out fast.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 2:14pm PST 
I'm going to stand with the rest who discourage ID's. If you have difficulties with access issues I strongly recommend rather than an ID car you print out something with the federal and state laws on it. Being able to hand out cards with the law on it works in two ways, one it educates the business, second it makes the next team have an easier time. Incorrectly letting business's press for an ID causes a lot of drama for other teams.

As for a mobility harness I see on your dog's page that she's only a year old. A dog used for mobility purposes should be at Least 2 years old and you should have her hips and elbow's checked before using her for this purpose. A dog is not built to support weight as a general and when used for this purpose they need to be physically fit and mature before you go into this work. As for a place to buy a harness I second bold lead designs, Katrina has gone to great lengths to provide a harness that is correctly built to cause the least amount of damage to a dog's body.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 5:56pm PST 
Ditto what Happy said.

In addition, some dogs will pull a wheelchair - some won't.smile If your dog isn't happy doing it, you shouldn't make them!

That's the downside of having a dog you already own being designated a SD - you can't specify what your needs are.

PLEASE, have a health clearance (x-rays, etc) for your dog before you try to get them to be a mobility assistance or pulling dog!
[notify]
Brady SD

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:28pm PST 
Glad to meet you and Tsaile!! big grin

Brady is an in training as a mobility dog too and for no other conditions. He is 7 now and pulls my ‘chair with great pride anywhere I ask him so long as it’s cool (like buildings). His structure is sound and his strength good though I haven’t worked him up to any over strenuous tasks. Otto is right that the dog should have the ‘drive’ for it, Brady was chosen from four candidates who failed due to lack of drive, lack of soundness, or lack of desire to work for me due to whatever reason. He will stay in training until his corrections are down to nil and he passes what is asked of the PAT.
For balance-counterbalance and LWB I still use a cane as Brady is still a little small for my height, not weight, but he is a great support if I’m hurting a lot or if my center of gravity gets a bit off. It’s episodic, not constant. My next SD will be larger for the height I need and maybe a little more weight for good measure.

I can’t afford a BLD harness for my first SDiT Brady, he will only be in service for about 2-3 yrs. plus as amazing and beautiful as it is, it is out of my current price range. But I do plan to get it for my next SD as it would last him his lifetime and I will have time to save up for that one.

I don’t use an ID, although I’m happy how you word yours, generally the members here aren’t keen on them for the reasons already given. I use his ID dog tag, his Co. rabies lic., his patches which state the nature of his mobility service to me, and finally he will carry identification in his pack when I’m ready that just describes him, his job, me, my SO, and my health for EMS and situations where and only where I can’t communicate that to someone. I don’t use flyers or have ADA cards, either because I haven’t made them, like Ollie’s awesome ones, or because he is an SDiT and for that I carry the state laws not the federal.

Let me know if you need any help teaching pulling if you don't have a good trainer as I can give some idea of what worked for me, your mileage may vary.wink Take care!
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:23pm PST 
While I understand that for you having an ID card is easier and helps you to avoid confrontation. The fact that the card is worded to say that it is being offered voluntarily will be easily overlooked and people whom are uneducated about service dogs could still assume that every service dog will have an ID card. There are times when my disability causes me to be unable to speak coherently to any degree and have had access challenges at those times but have still been able to say something to the challenger that they are breaking state and federal law by denying me access.

If you would like to not have to fight with gate keepers an easier thing to have would be a card that explains to someone that denying you access is against the law and if you are denied access you will file a complaint with DOJ. This information along with the access rights on a card would be more useful than some photoshopped ID card that makes you feel better.

Part of having a service dog is having to talk to people about it to some degree, whether it's during access challenges or someone trying to pet your service dog even though they have a patch that says do not distract.
[notify]
Abigail- (Abby)

Social/Therapy- Dog

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 1:35am PST 
There a lot of place that sell harness for service dogs. I would google look at some picture, it really all about view in style and need.

I know freedom harness are very much talked about in the working dog places. They are $85.
I have different brand of harness but very much like Freedom one, but it only cost me $50.

-Abby
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3