GO!

Shopping experience

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brady SD

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 9:34pm PST 
We all seem to like occasional stories, so here’s my first for the forum.

So after doing some advanced obedience touch-up work at the club (I’m a member of a local obedience club) we stopped at a local grocery store in an ify area of town for some cereal and milk for the week. By this point I was sore and limping really hard but with Brady on one side and my cane on the other we headed in.

Before I got into the store we got compliments on his breed and appearance, guessing people like Collies. One mistook him for a GSD mix but another corrected her before I could, smooth Collies get that a lot. Once in the store, more ‘aww, pretty dog’ etc., etc. I ask the cashier’s where the right aisles were as I had only visited this particular store once before over a year earlier.

After I got my directions I headed the right way, passing a well dressed woman who had a managerial feel to her. Her first comment wasn’t one of the ADA questions, but surprisingly “Aww, can I pet him?” I politely declined her as I do everyone especially kids, and told her “Sorry, he’s working”. I went on my way, got my stuff and left with a sweet cashier who pretended he didn’t exist. With an obvious limp and the cane I happily haven’t had any access issues even though I was worried that being in my late twenties with a mobility issue that I might.

Still I wonder, was the possible manager’s question a test, or was she really that ignorant to SDs. Hmm. I really don’t let anyone pet him because it is like petting my wheelchair, just annoying, distracting, and possibly dangerous if he gets overly excited he could pull me off my feet.
thinking
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 6:59am PST 
Most people are just that ignorant unfortunately. I've found I run into more people pointing Bella out when she's in her harness than when she's not which means more attention and petting requests.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 12:11pm PST 
Does Brady have a vest? People may be less likely to ask if you have a vest that clearly states DO NOT TOUCH and WORKING and DO NOT DISTRACT, etc, or whatever your preferences are. That said, maybe not, lol..

Most people, are in fact, just that ignorant of SD's. But better they ask than just do, right? I wasn't aware of all the laws surrounding SD's before I joined this forum.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 12:29pm PST 
I get more requests from people to pet my SD when she's vested than when she's off duty and unvested. I think it is because she's a GSD.

In any case, at least the manager type human asked to pet rather than running up without asking, which is what is common with us. Ignorant, yes, but at least polite.
[notify]
Buddy

I'm NOT a- 'weiner dog'!- I'm a DACHSHUND!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 1:58pm PST 
Although Service Dogs are permitted in ALL public access areas WITHOUT A LEASH & UNMUZZLED, I still use a muzzle because only ADULTS are usually polite enough to ask if they can pet. Most children NEVER ask, they just run up, reach out and touch! The muzzle is what I use as a training tool to let my SD know we are presently in a public area, and therefore must be alert to do his job. Additionally, it serves as a safety precaution, because people "naturally" assume a muzzled dog has "biting issues", so therefore they won't even ASK to pet! Removing the muzzle serves to signal my SD that it is NO LONGER time to work, and he is FREE to act as he wishes... usually in my van (with a handicap placard), or in my apt, swimming in a park, etc.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 2:26pm PST 
Yes, children sometimes do run up and pet without asking. I prefer to work with them and educate them. Then they do a great job at educating the adults in their lives.
[notify]
Chief- Majestix the- Impeccable

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 6:05pm PST 
Hey Buddy..
Is there a chance you can train your SD without a muzzle?
Has there been a biting or nipping history?
What is your fear when he is in public?
If he has a disposition to snap, public work might be too stressful for him.
Would you like to explain what makes you work with a muzzle?
It's not a positive message a muzzled SD sends out. He should be able to handle sudden touches. If he isn't maybe you can step a few training steps back and practice in a more controlled environment until he is reliable?
Sometimes SD work is too challenging for some dogs.
Best to you, sonja and the crew
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 6:29pm PST 
I have shopped with Sadie about a month or two ago Things went OK with one store but the second one was not so good I guess she was not expecting other animals in there.
[notify]
Brady SD

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 7:44pm PST 
Yes, Brady wears a red pocketed vest with two patches on each side, "STOP: Do Not Pet, Do Not Distract", one per side, "Service Dog, In Training" on one side and "Mobility Dog" on the other. So if I couldn't tell someone what he was they could read it. His other equipment includes a hand leash, shoulder leash, and martingale collar with ID and county-rabies tags. We are waiting on a harness that will either have a vest/cape/ or pocket pack(for his few gear items) attached and patches and bridge-patch on it.

I'll admit, she was friendly and polite, just the first time that has happened among the other things I have heard thus far. smile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:53am PST 
I think, sometimes, people know but just don't care; they just want to pet the dog because he's there.
About a month ago, my friend (who is blind and has a guide dog) and I were waiting for a bus at a very busy stop, an older man came up and started petting her dog. I told the man that the dog was working and if he could please not pet him (as my friend was not initially aware there was someone there), and my friend reiterated my statement. He simply said 'I know' and petted him again (until I blocked him).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2