GO!

Talking to doctor

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 12:23pm PST 
So I have had a service dog for years, but have never had to have proof from a doctor. The university I attend and local bus services have never had a problem with me havin her and have never requested info. How do you approach a doc for a prescription? My doctor is a little old fashion and I'm worried he will say no, so is there an easy way to ask and be successful in getting the ok? I don't usual bring my girl with me to visits since I have had altercations with "fake" service dogs and people not keeping her hands off her even though she is clearly marked on her vest. its just too much of a hassle in the hospital ( it stresses me out more than anything).

Oh and she is a headache/ seizure dog.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:56am PST 
Why do you need a prescription for your dog from your doctor? Just curious.

Anyway, I would just say, "Doc, I have this service dog that does X, Y, and Z for me. I need something in writing from you that says A, B, and C." I would hand him a piece of paper that says exactly what I need him to write in the prescription. "I need that because blah, blah, blah. Thanks for your help."
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 7:05am PST 
I was worried about telling my doctor about Cheyenne also. I have been diagnosed with intractable migraines since 2003. My doctor is older and kinda "old fashioned", but she was literally excited when I told her about what Cheyenne can do for me! I have had the same neurologist for 10 years, so she knows what I have been through and is very supportive of me having Cheyenne. Just ask your Doctor... You might be surprised! dog walk
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 1:30pm PST 
I asked my doctor and he blew up at me. Apparently he doesn't like service dogs for any reason. I will be findin a new neurologist anyways so I guess I'll just ask again in the future. I really don't need a note, I was just makin sure I had everything in hand just in case I ever needed it.
[notify]