GO!

Glucosamine supplements for SD before problems arise?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 12:11pm PST 
I'm just wondering if any of you give glucosamine chondroitin with MSM to your service dog. A lot of our dogs put in tons of mileage and whatever else. I try to take the stairs as little as possible but sometimes they're inevitable and here in Chicago there are a lot of times where we need to go up a couple levels.

Do you think it'd be beneficial to at some point in your SD's life to start giving glucosamine supplements?
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 12:40pm PST 
Charlie, the benefits of supplementing with Glucosamine/MSM are dependent on cartilage already being healthy, and are best given to PREVENT injury/strain to that cartilage BEFORE it breaks down, so YES, giving it now is definitely a great idea.
I used to raise/show labradors and ALL of them were started on a glucosamine/MSM supplement by 6 months of age. I currently have an 8 month old lab and he is also already on it.
Interestingly enough, after I started supplementing with the glucosamine/MSM, ALL my labs were getting OFA excellent hip ratings at 24 months. Prior to that, my line had good hips and got good scores with an occasional excellent but the excellents definitely got more frequent with those dogs that had been on the supplements.
I use Schiff Move Free Plus MSM, available fairly inexpensively at BJ's Wholesale or Walmart. I use the regular human dose per my veterinarian. My labs think it is a treat and do tricks for their pills.

Edited by author Fri Mar 29, '13 12:41pm PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:35pm PST 
Most of Sadies food is full of stuff like that I feed her dry foods for active dogs. I try do things in stride avoid things like stairs since it is not so much Sadie but myself who can not go up stairs well.
I have a first floor apt. I try to avoid places that I would be confronted with stairs like our town hall but there is a back door that I can go in to that dose not have stairs to it. My mobility is very advanced that going up stairs can be very hard for me.
[notify]

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 8:53am PST 
There really isn't enough Glucosamine OR MSM added to dog food to make any difference at all. A 75 lb dog needs about 1500mg of glucosamine daily to make any difference. That is a maintenance dosage, loading dose is much higher.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 6:35pm PST 
Thanks, I'll ask my vet tomorrow how much they think I should give my two and start them up =)
[notify]