GO!

SD growling at people when off duty

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Loki

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 11:06pm PST 
My 3 yo service dog Loki has deceloped a VERY bad habit of growling at people that walk past out front door when hes off duty. When hes in harness he is a perfect angel, his whole focus is on me and his job. However the moent the harness comes off its like he forgets all his manners! The instant he starts the growling I call him on it and make him stop but the next time someone walks past or a car pulls up he starts the growling again. I am getting really frustrated with it can anyone give me any suggestions or help???
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 11:26pm PST 
Sadie dose that too I feel it is ok cause they are protecting their area...
I do call sadie some to keep her in check so she would go all bolistic.
She dose that when dogs and cats and people go by, people walking their dogs too.
I also call her on it when she barks too long but Dogs are dogs and they protect their territory.
Dogs are naturally territory so I am sure that you can't train it out cause they are just going to
do it. I feel I need to let her be a dog and that is part of being a dog.
Like lorky she dose not do it when in working mode she just dose it when out on her run.
She dose'nt do it when on leash walking either.
So she is being her doggy self. (dogs are domestic wolves) that is in their instincks to protect their territory. I have studdied animal behavoir with post grade and out of intrest.
[notify]
Loki

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 1:41pm PST 
I don't mind the occasional bark, that I just write off as "being a dog". Its the snarly growling that is irritating me and I can not get him to stop it,
[notify]

Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 6:22pm PST 
Cheyenne barks at strangers walking by the house, I let her. If she barks more than a few times, I tell her "enough quiet" and she stops. I want her to alert me when people are around the house...or coyotes..we have them too. When we are at home, I let her be a normal dog, as much as possible. Try teaching a "quiet" command.. Or something similar.
[notify]
Loki

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 10:30pm PST 
He knows the commands "quiet" and "enough" which I use when I catch him doing it but my point is he goes back to doing it he very next person he sees, and living in an apartment complex that's quite often. I don't mind him barking..he gives 2 or 3 barks and that's it..but when he growls at people that come up to the door it frightens them..as it would me if I didn't know a dog and it was growling at me.
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 2:57pm PST 
You need to set your dog up for success. If your dog is just going back and repeating the same unwanted behavior you aren't doing a good job managing the behavior until it can be modified. By allowing unwanted behavior to be practiced it only strengthens and reinforces it.

Dogs growl. It is part of how they communicate, usually that they are fearful or uncomfortable about a situation. Correcting growling is probably the worst thing you can do, how would you feel if someone yelled at you for saying you were afraid of something? You'd probably stop telling them, which is what dogs do most of the time, which can lead to "unprovoked" or "out of nowhere" biting or other unwanted behavior. You took away a step of communication, so logically they would move on to using the next one.

What I would do (and I'm not there to see the actual behavior, so this is just IMO), is set up an exercise pen, crate, or confine the dog behind a baby-gate, a reasonable distance away from where the problem behavior occurs. It should be far enough away that your dog WON'T exhibit growling, also known as under threshold. DO NOT allow your dog to keep practicing this behavior outside of training sessions. I use clicker training, but you can also use a marker reward such as "Yes." Every time the trigger happens (someone walking by the door), click and reward. Don't even give your dog the chance to react negatively. Once your dog is looking at you expecting a treat when someone walks by, move them a little bit closer to the door. Repeat every time your dog has about an 80% success rate. DON'T scold if your dog makes a mistake and growls/whines/barks. Ignore the behavior and move back a step if it is happening more than 20% of the time. Take things very slowly and they should begin to positively associate strangers walking by with positive things and look to you for direction.

A good book for your situation would be Behavior Adjustment Training, there are many DVDs as well. I hope this helped, good luck!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 7:05pm PST 
That was what I as trying to say I agree with the other I do let Sadie make all the noyse she wants when she is out on her own on her run cause she can be her doggie self out there. She dose not do it when she works. She is also awfully nosey lol. my windows are at her level lol so she can look out them she also will bark in the house so I just nip it a lil and tell her not in the house. She barks once or twice but then is done. Ive been on her about her false alarms cause she is doing it just to make the know for people outside in front of the store I live in(on the other side of the store I mean.
But as I said Sadie dose not make noyse when she is working with me. Though as of late she dose
seem to be misbehaving a lil but it is cause she has been unable to work since I have been laid up.
We are getting out now and that is good for both of us she is having less incidents of doing that.
[notify]