GO!

SDIT PA in CA???

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2  

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 7:46pm PST 
Although every county is supposed to issue California Assistance Dog tags (either Animal Control or the County Clerk if the county's population is too small for it to have an Animal Control department), the tag is also supposed to be uniform in size and shape and and have a unique registration number. The only way to insure this would be for a state agency to be responsible for creating and distributing them, and lawmakers failed to include this provision. Consequently, people with disabilities who want them in order to have public access and access to housing while training dogs add service dogs have had to file or threaten legal action in their counties of residence to force the appropriate departments to issue them SOMETHING. I think there are only 4 or 5 counties statewide where they're issued. Of course, this means that no two counties' tags are the same and that there are probably duplicate numbers, but since only the issuer is called to verify a tag's validity, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that anyone living in a county where they aren't issued who needs one will have to either fight to get a tag that won't even really comply with the law or ignore ths flawed law and do what owner-trainers living in states where there aren't public access laws for SDIT teams do: doctors' letters that state they would benefit from the emotional support their dogs can or do provide (this allows them to keep their dogs in housing that either doesn't allow dogs or where they would be charged additional rent and/or a pet deposit under the "reasonable accommodation" clause of The Fair Housing Amendment Act) and take their dogs into only public places where pets are welcome (unless they get written permission from a business owner or service provider giving permission for them to train their dogs - an option for everything but places where food is served or prepared). I live in one of the few counties where the tags are issued, and got one for use with my dog. I still have it clipped to his leash handle (he's a small mixed breed with a fluffy coat so it was easier for me to show it to gatekeepers than for them to see it on his collar).
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2