GO!

Options for low-income families?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:51pm PST 
I'm 19 as well and fundraising my $5000 to get a dog from Laughing Eyes Kennel. I tried, struggled, and subsequently failed at OTing. I finally acknowledged I couldn't train a dog myself with my current state of mind. Good luck.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 7:11pm PST 
Okay, thanks Isaac. I'll keep that all in mind when I talk to my therapist and psychiatrist.

And thanks Maddox. I'm considering Laughing Eyes Kennels; I emailed them, and was told that Assistance Dogs United Campaign, which they are a member program of, has vouchers for people of low income. Does anyone know anything about that?
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:49am PST 
I forgot to ask, I'm looking for some literature to give to my parents, psychiatrist, and therapist about PSDs. Does anyone have any good websites, brochures, or anything that can educate?
[notify]

Isaac

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 8:31am PST 
This is a good brochure about the basics of service dogs: http://www.petpartners.org/document.doc?id=1060

A great resource is www.servicedogcentral.org
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 10:48am PST 
Sorry Isaac I meant it was just easer for me to Owner train cause the only program near me rejected me. I have programs also that help me feed Sadie too. But I have spent over 4-6 thousand for her and training books and equipment etc. It was not all at once and Sadie herself was $150. form a private person who Bought her form a breeder. All my exspences were not all at once.
So I guess to me owner training is cheaper.( I also got a good trainer who lowered his cost for personal training advice when I need it)
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 3:08pm PST 
Thanks Isaac.

I would rather not owner train, so I'm looking at programs first. I've found a few that help with fundraising, and then there's the assistance dog united campaign voucher if I get accepted for that.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:04am PST 
Okay, I've sent in my application for Laughing Eyes Kennels. Now I'm just worried about how everything is going to work out...
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2