GO!

Bella Doubles As A Hearing Dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:50am PST 
laugh out loud Recently Bella has learned by herself how to alert me to people calling me when I can't hear (I didn't teach this, she just decided to do it herself. I see no harm in it, so I just let her but don't encourage it)

I don't have hearing problems, but when in my room I always have a VERY loud air purifier on (I have guinea pigs which eat hay so I need an air purifier for all the dust) and I'm normally wearing large headphones and listening to something. Therefore I can basically hear nothing, so when someone is calling me they basically have to scream before I'm able to hear them.

But recently Bella has learned to alert me to when someone is calling me. Whenever she hears my name, she will turn towards the source of the call, bark once, then turn, run up to me and bark once, then repeat until I get up, respond to the person, or tell her to stop. Such a smart puppy laugh out loud People in the house now don't call my name when I'm upstairs, they call Bella and tell her to call me. laugh out loud Though she only does this when we both are in my room, she doesn't do it anywhere else of course, or I would have trained her to stop.

Edited by author Sun Feb 17, '13 9:53am PST

[notify]
Wizard SDIT

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 6:42pm PST 
If you can't hear people calling your name then how can you hear her bark once?
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 6:49pm PST 
Good point Wizard. Maybe you should shape the alert to something productive like pawing at you, because if you were actually HOH you wouldn't be able to hear her bark much less hear your name called.
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 7:07pm PST 
Also, the barking could be construed as disruptive to others in your housing situation or in public.
[notify]
Bobby

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 6:43am PST 
Just to say a point Bobby and Toby are both hearing dogs and I being hard of hearing
Bobby will bark and paw if I am called Toby will do the same. We can still hear some sounds . Hearing dogs are allowed to bark
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 7:09am PST 
Many people with hearing impairment can read lips and a barking dog should be pretty easy to tell if you are looking at itsmile
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:57pm PST 
Everyone, I didn't really mean it as a serious thing, sorry if it seemed that way, I don't really have hearing problems (Though I do have a technology addiction, hence wearing headphones and watching videos or playing games so often) nor would she ever do that in public, nor does it disturb the household. If it was a problem I would have fixed it, but it's not. I don't encourage it, but since it's not disturbing anyone, and actually helps me to know when someone is calling me, I don't stop it either. The only reason I can't hear people when they call me is because they don't want to walk all the way up the stairs just to ask how I'm doing, plus I have my door closed, headphones on watching stuff, and a loud air purifier. Therefore I can't hear them calling me 99% of the time, but Bella can. I can hear her since she's right next to me in the room, and if I'm listening to something too loud and can't hear her, I can see her running back and forth from the door to my lap.
[notify]