GO!

ADA Service Dog Link

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Service Dogs in Training

Service Dog in- Progress

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 7:56pm PST 
Hi there!

I'm a weekend trainer for New Horizons Service Dogs. I research a lot about service dog laws and policies so I feel confident about informing businesses about the laws when I go out with the dogs.

However, today while at Beef'O'Brady's as I sat down the manager came over a requested paperwork and certification. She told me the dog could not be in there, asked if I had a disability or problem, and continued to request the paperwork.

I informed her that Apollo is a service dog in training for New Horizons Service Dogs and under Florida law a trainer has the same access rights as a person with a disability. She persisted that her boss has made a rule to require paperwork. I told her according to federal law certification is not required for service animals to gain access. She just continued on about how she can't allow the dog in if I don't have certificates so next time I will have to have the paperwork to be allowed in.

I understand that this is illegal but I feel it is a case of misinformation. I am planning to go again next week to give them Florida Law and Federal Law. I've pulled up Florida Law but does anyone have the link for the ADA federal law for service dogs? (I know the ADA doesn't include dogs in training but I think this business needs the laws regarding service dogs as well)

Thanks for your help!

Edited by author Sat Dec 29, '12 8:00pm PST

[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 9:57pm PST 
Just a heads up but federal law would have absolutely no baring on this situation. Florida law would be useful but federal law is only useful for fully trained service dogs with their handlers. What you would need is the most current version of florida state law. I'm not as familiar with Florida's laws but if you need I can dig them up for you.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 11:46pm PST 
And my apologies, looking back over this I can see that you did know that federal law was useless. Though it never hurts to point it out since so few people (like me) read through the post like they should. Service dog Central should have the exact codes you need without having to dig through the state websites.
[notify]

Isaac

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 3:28am PST 
I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
[notify]
Service Dogs in Training

Service Dog in- Progress

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 9:13am PST 
Happy-
Yeah I know it doesn't cover me but the manager was saying service dogs in general need paperwork so I want to make sure future teams don't run into a problem. I also want to know, if she continues to demand the paperwork after I give her the laws is it worth it to call the police? I know they almost never know the law regarding service dogs so I'm wondering if it will fix the problem.

Isaac-
Thanks!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 2:35pm PST 
I and a lot of handlers I know carry copies of the relevant laws and give those to business's who ask for paperwork. If you have a current copy of the law it makes any access challenge more difficult. Next time I would call the cops and make sure you have the state laws on service dogs. At least if you call and have them make a report they will know you're serious.

Personally my advice is to not get defensive toward them, be as polite and friendly as you can manage, keep the copy of state and federal law.
[notify]
Service Dogs in Training

Service Dog in- Progress

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 5:14pm PST 
I was also with a friend trying to impress a new guy so I tried to be as kind as possible and didn't want to cause a scene. Next time however I'll make sure the laws are kindly but firmly relayed. Thanks for your help Happy!
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:40pm PST 
Calling the police probably wouldn't help because the ADA is a civil law, not a federal law. The police don't enforce the ADA, although if they are familiar with the law, they might explain it to her and she might take their advice and comply with the law. To enforce the law, though, you'd need to contact the Department of Justice and file a complaint, and then they would investigate and take action if they deemed it appropriate.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:27pm PST 
Actually in this case you're not dealing with federal law (ADA) you're dealing with state laws which in this case are both civil And criminal, in most state's there are laws offering additional protection to service dogs and their handlers. In this case Florida law also offers protection to the trainers of service dogs.

Even in an access dispute where only the ADA applies it's still a good idea to call the local police to have them write a report, the extra support and written evidence of the access dispute will help with the civil case.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:34pm PST 
I think that you all have told this poster what is right or wrong I agree with all that You guys said.
[notify]