GO!

Reactive to other dogs on walks, tips?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Qwigley

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:13pm PST 
Qwigley is a saint, he walks well 90% of the time but obviously that won't cut it. The only time he breaks a heel is when he sees another dog. Sometimes he just perks up, keeps looking back at the dog, etc. At his worst, he will start crying, jumping around/getting underfoot and once he kicked up dirt.

He's done this since I found him about a year ago and I've payed attention to it in training with varying amounts of success over the months, but it never completely goes away. (though I have to admit we haven't done INTENSE focus on it)

He also remembers which houses have dogs in the yard(either all the time or only part of the time) and whenever we pass by these yards, he begins to "stand tall", lose focus on me etc.

I really want him to be my SD but I also understand that this impossible to do until he's completely apathetic towards other dogs.

help?
[notify]
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:23am PST 
The way we were able to break Juno of this is that I put her into a sit/stay until she quits whining. Then I praise or treat. Next I bring her a step closer and she starts whining again so we wait again in a sit/stay until she stops and I treat again. She loves children too, so this works for when kids pass by.

Sounds like your dog though is more distracted than reactive. From what I understand reactive means aggression and fear.
[notify]
Qwigley

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 12:23pm PST 
Ah I see, sorry about the choice of words then :S He just gets over-excited

That's one of the first methods we used but he doesn't care/it doesn't work. We tried it for a couple of weeks and it never made any difference.

Also most of the dogs we come in contact with are on walks and I really need something we can work on during the walk. I can practice with other dogs but it takes a lot of coordination and I can't do it every day.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 12:27pm PST

[notify]

Qwigley

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:22am PST 
Well for anyone else that has an over excited dog when encountering other dogs, here's what I've been doing the past week that seems to be getting results.

I cooked up some tasty tasty chicken and I take it with me on the walk, whenever we encounter another dog (walking by us or behind a fence) I stop and every couple of seconds call his name in an upbeat tone. When he makes eye contact, I say 'good'(or you could use a clicker) and give him a piece of the tasty chicken.

We do this until he is just looking at me(and sitting), not the other dog, and then we begin to walk away. Now sometimes he is still agitated or anxious so we'll stop again and repeat until we can walk away peacefully and without any pulling/lunging or skittering around my feet.

So far it's doing well, and today he ALMOST ignored one of the regular dogs on our morning walk! It might work faster/better with a clicker, so we're going to go and get one today. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
[notify]