GO!

Texas law requires training by a recognized agency for service dogs

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:43pm PST 
I was looking at the texas service dog laws and it specifically says that all service dogs must be trained by a recognized agency that specifiacally trains service dogs commonly recognized by disability services. The federal ADA laws state that a psychiatric service dog can be self trained, and what about those of us who have brought our animals in from another state that does not require such restrictions. Can anyone shed light on this Texas law as we are moving to Texas soon. Thanks
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 7:56am PST 
Texas law does state this, and what it means for owner trained dogs or other service dogs not covered by their laws is that you don't qualify for the additional protections offered by the law. Say you have an access dispute you can bring in the police to report it but by law they can't actually do anything for you other than educate the business owner about the ADA (if the cops know the ADA which some do not) What this means is that while you can pursue the civil case with the ADA you can't pursue any criminal one with the state.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 10:16pm PST 
I suppose my big concern is that she be allowed to live with me. My Lucy is doctor prescribed for my anxiety and PTSD. What she does for me is wake me when I am "locked" into PTSD driven nightmares that I cannot seem to wake myself from. She also has a knack for calming my anxiety attacks, she takes me outside for air. I do not take her into stores other than pet supply stores. There is no need, as it would make me more anxious to have everyone staring at me because I had a dog with me. Although, I do take her in the car as I shop late at night and I am assured that no stranger has gotten in my car and is waiting for me to hurt me. Would I still be covered under the housing laws?
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:08pm PST 
What you're describing falls under housing laws rather than state service dog laws (actually ADA protects fully trained service dogs, be they owner trained or not) Housing is not my area of expertise but no the housing laws do not make a distinction between program trained dogs and also have an area of the law that covers Emotional support animals, which are basically pets who help their disabled owners.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '14 6:05am PST 
I dont know if this will help you or not. I have just started a non-profit organization in montgomery county texas called Bulldog and Friends Rescue Center, and i would love to help you with your service dog. We primarily do work for veterans and children (Save a Dog, Save a Veteran and Save a Dog, Save a Child). free of charge. I you would like help and would like us to train your service dog for you we can. We will also go over all the ADA rules and regulation that your need to know... We dont just have the normal stuff you typically see on line, the ADA has provided a copy of thier enitre handbook for us. The website just got put up a couple of days ago and is still doing through revising but fill free to check out the information and contact us if we can help. www.bdfrc.com
[notify]