GO!

Loving Virginia

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:48pm PST 
Sorry that I haven't been around for awhile. As you all know I had to become my dad's full time caregiver in June and stayed with him to the end of his life in August. I then had 6 weeks to find a home to buy in Virginia. In those 6 weeks I had to pack my folks home, clean it and get it ready to go on the market. Then I had to deal with a brother and sister-in-law from hell who kept stealing things till I finally told them to stay out till I move...

Due to all of the problems of taking care of my dad and dealing with mean family members, Ailbe's training went on hold till I could settle in Virginia. We did go out at least 4 nights a week to Walmart just to keep him interested in doing his job.

So, our move cross country with 2 dogs and a cat was interesting. Ailbe drove with me and my 5 yr old grandson. Shadow rode with my daughter. Ailbe was terrific at all of the rest stops, restaurants, and hotels. He got loads of compliments on his manners, etc.

Well, we've been here now since Oct 26 when we moved into my very first HOME. It's in a wooded HOA community and its AWESOME!! I have close to a 1/2 acres and the area is QUIET!! This is the first time in years where I can lay down and the next thing my alarm is going off. No street lights and no traffic.

Ailbe is doing great and we're getting back into a routine with his training. He's 100% goofy at times, but once you put his vest and halti on and its the "Service Dog Light Bulb"that's changed his manners. If I try to do anything for commands when he's not dressed he'll just stare at you like you're nuts. So, starting this week I've been keeping on his uniform while in the house. I can get great recalls and other commands done without a hiccup. I'm hoping to start taking him out locally, but Virginia requires SDITs to be with a trainer and wear the color of their school. The Dept of Veterans Affairs gave me a letter stating that he's a Veteran Dog in Training and I've been taking that with me. So far there hasn't been an issue. My son-in-law is a cop and says that the letter is a good one that will work with the State Law.

Ailbe has grown into one HUGE 14 month old pup. I had him at the Vet on Monday due to double yeast ear infections and they weighed him. He now weighs 64.8 lbs and is 27 1/2 tall. The Vet thinks he should top out at about 75 to 80 lbs by time he's done growing.

Oh, the AKC will start adding the CGC as a title after the dogs registered name. I'm in no hurry to get it yet and will take it when I know we won't have any issues. We got to catch up on 6 months of training that we lost due to the issues of my family. If he's 3 yrs old before we finish then so be it. I'm doing it slowly.

Ailbe's registered name is:

Sir Ailbe Knight of Harmony Mtn

I've updated his homepage photos.. Enjoy!!

Also, Ailbe has a nose issue -- he lost some pigmentation and the center of his nose is now pink. I will talk to his new Vet in two weeks .. It looks like he'll have to use sunscreen if it remains pink..

Ailbe

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 10:00pm PST

[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 7:59am PST 
As to the pink nose.. does he eat out of a plastic bowl? I've seen similar on dogs who have minor allergies to the plastic used in bowls.

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well in his training. Wishing you all the best.
[notify]
SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:07am PST 
My dogs eat out of stainless steel bowls. I had a dog that was allergic to plastic and it took a long time for him to heal.. Since then I've only used stainless steel as recommended by the Vet.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]

Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:53pm PST 
good to hear from you..
He is looking good way to go