GO!

Tasks

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4  
Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:08pm PST 
There aren't too many service dog task training videos but just learning how to teach some more advanced tricks and behaviors will give you the skills to teach any task you want. Once you get the hang of communicating what you want, it gets much easier!
For alerting to approaching people here is how I might train it:
Start by teaching her whatever cue you want-for now we will say putting her front paws on you. (just lure her into position as you would sit or down)
Then get that on a reliable hand signal.
Have a family or friend walk up and as soon as they get close, cue her to do the behavior and mark and treat!
Do that over and over and over again!
Then start having the person approach and see if she will offer the behavior before you give a cue-so she is taking the person approaching as her cue instead.
Then just keep practicing and practicing and you will get it!

For finding anything like the car/exit/person basically you just start from a small distance, say your cue (go find --) lead her their yourself and then have a praise/treat party! Then once she gets the idea, stay close to your whatever she is finding, say your cue and wait for her to take steps towards it and reward. Slowly you can move farther and farther away but make sure you start at the beginning the first few times you practice with a new person or place.

If you need anymore explained let me know, I am no expert and pry not the best to give out advice....but I will try my bestwink

Here are some great youtube channels that have helped me a ton!
http://www.youtu be.com/user/supern aturalbc2008/videos?vie w=0

http://www.you tube.com/user/ki kopup
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 8:08am PST 
Thanks Riley, didn't know it would be that easy, I'll start working on that today! big grin
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 1:13pm PST 
I have had a few small dog pets and blocking would seem a really good thing to teach them for their safty.
[notify]

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:40pm PST 
Sadie, she means using the dog to block the human, not teaching the dog to go behind the human and use her as a shield. She has no intentions of protecting the dog, rather to use the dog to protect her.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 10:25am PST 
I don't know if that's a good idea with such a small dog.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 12:10pm PST 
Sorry if someone may have already mention this, but have you seen the Take A Bow Wow videos? They are trick videos but they do include useful behaviors and give good clicker based training info that can help with what you are wanting to train. Other clicker training videos may also be helpful.
For service dog specific there is the Teamwork video set, but I don't know exactly what it covers.

Also here is a list of video clips online:
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/127
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:14pm PST 
I do agree using a small dog to protect you for a huge human is not a bright idea. though some small dogs can be pretty ferce. I had a pickaneese when was young and he was pretty frighting
for a lil guy. Though people who get scared might still hurt the dog too. I know a lot of people use small dogs for SDs I am not saying that it is bad to do so I just am consern for the wee dog that
would hurt it.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4