GO!

Tasks

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Isaac

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 3:58am PST 
Where do you live that there are no trainers within a reasonable driving distance that can assist you? Are you in a very isolated rural area?
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 7:46am PST 
Mateo- Did anyone say I was going to?

Isaac- Yes we do live in an area with not many people. Though I did contact all the trainers I found in my area and the ones Happy found for me, all of them didn't work out for one reason or another, I even contacted many places that train Service Dogs and have people volunteer to train the dogs. I offered to pay to go to the classes they give the people who are training the dogs.
[notify]
Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 10:31am PST 
Your posting insinuated you were going to. I can only assume you would have since you took your pet other places a pet cannot, should not, go.
[notify]

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:06pm PST 
Mateo- I only said that they invited me to, and that a lot of other owner trainers with service dogs train there, not that I ever did, nor ever will when she's in training. I've only ever taken her to two places that dogs are not normally invited. I still would like to see where it says pets are not allowed in those to places (Though I'm not doubting it's true, I just want proof) And I did make sure to call ahead and say that she was not trained, was not a service dog, and was only an ESA. Though she did not misbehave at all and could have passed for a service dog (Though I didn't claim she was)
[notify]
Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:24am PST 
Ok so I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I am far off topicwink

As far as tasks what I did with Riley is I trained probably over 30 tasks and then I have ended up only using about 10 regularly so those are the ones we practice and perfect. I taught him to circle around me to give me space but then never ever use it in public. I find it gets the leash all tangled, it's too obvious that I'm trying to keep people back and the dog looks like he is misbehaving. There is no harm in training it though and seeing if you use it. Another good one for small dogs is to alert you to when somebody is approaching. You can train her to paw you when somebody comes up behind so you don't get startled. You have to have family/friends help you with that usually but it's pretty easy to train. A few other solid tasks I like for PSD's (depending on your needs) are: finding exits, finding the person you are with, following the person you are with, finding the car, finding the house, interrupting behaviors, getting help, waking you from nightmares, alerting to people appraoching. It seems like you have a good list of tasks so I would just start training and see what you end up using to better work as a teamsmile Youtube has probably been my best source for training tasks and you can find some great videos that with a little adapting can create some very helpful tasks!
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:47pm PST 
Riley- I really like all those suggestions, thanks! Most of those would help me a bunch, any tips on where I can find videos on how to train them or something along those lines?
[notify]
Onyx, SD

Legitimate- Mobility Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 2:58pm PST 
"The task I'm talking about teaching at the moment (Grounding) would just simply be whenever I get trapped in a train of thought that's leading bad ways, I can signal to her to paw at me so that I have something to focus on other than my thoughts which snaps me out of it."

You can't be serious. If you have enough self-awareness to cue your dog to paw your arm when you're engaged in negative thoughts, then you have enough self-awareness to skip the dog and initiate the healthy coping skills right off.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 5:31pm PST 
I didn't mean like really cuing her to do it by giving a hand signal or verbal cue, I was talking about something like biting my nails or something along those lines that I normally do when I start to get panicked, using that as the cue. Though again, I won't have her do that since I guess the idea isn't a good one.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 7:12pm PST 
My SD is trained to interrupt me when I scratch or pick at my skin. To train him to do that, his trainer pretended she was doing those things and she put a treat in the hand she was using to scratch or pick at her skin, which made him want to nudge her hand. When he nudged her hand, he got the treat. When she pretended to scratch and pick, it looked enough like how it looks if I really do it so that he nudges my hand away until I stop doing it.

However, my SD is also trained (sort of) to bring me my medication when I start to have an anxiety attack. While his trainer tried to simulate what that looks like, she wasn't able to do that as well. He would bring the meds to her when she pretended to have an anxiety attack, but when I pretended to have one, it didn't look enough like her pretending for him to know what he was supposed to do. And then, when I really have an anxiety attack, that looks different than when I am just pretending, so he didn't realize that was when he was supposed to get the meds. I had to have my roommate help me by telling me to give my SD the command to get the meds when I was starting to have an anxiety attack. The reason I need him to get the meds for me is because during an anxiety attack, I can't think clearly enough to remember to take them. That means I also can't think clearly enough to train my dog to bring them to me at that moment. I had to have someone there to assist me with that.
[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:10pm PST 
Bella, my suggestion, just stick with the positive posts and your question and not respond to personal stuff.
Mateo, please keep it friendly, cause Bella is here to learn.
Thanks, sonja
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4