GO!

socks, shoes or both?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 1:08pm PST 
I was wondering how many people in the southwest area use shoes on their dogs? This will be my first summer in Arizona & I'm thinking that shoes might be a good thing to train her to use this winter, in preparation for summer. Ideas? Thoughts? To shoe or not to shoe?shrug
[notify]
Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:31am PST 
I would advise against the shoes in hot weather. I originally got Ruffwear boots for my dog since we live in Florida and I wanted to protect his paws from the hot pavement. This issue is that dogs sweat mainly through their paws and the boots quickly lead to overheating. While in St. Augustine my dog overheated and collapsed despite my attempts to keep him in the shade and giving plenty of cold water. The best thing to do is to keep them off of hot pavement and in the shade. Also there are various waxes and balms you can put on his feet to protect them.
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 12:50pm PST 
Ooo, yes I also heard of someone using wax on their dogs feet. I think it was "mushers secret"? If anyone has experience using the wax &/or best brand of wax...I'm open to that too. Chey's feet are sensitive and I'm trying to prevent disaster in the desert! Thankyou!way to go
[notify]