GO!

Can someone get into trouble for bothering a SDiT while on an outing?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Polly

Lolly girl

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 1:13pm PST 
Oops..."you will need to make a hard decision" Not we
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 4:34pm PST 
Sadly I do have to put up with him as my 15 year old son lives with him, my sister and my real father. In order to see my son I have to put up with the jerk. I am going to tell him one more time that Tank cannot be bothered while working. He is also that way when he comes over to bug my husband about getting some part for his computer. He will "play" with my son's German Shepherd Hailie and she doesnt like him at all. She is afraid of him and will try to hide. I usually end up putting her out in the back yard when he comes around.

@ Polly I understood what you meant. I wish my mom was still alive because she understood the fact that a working dog cannot be bothered while doing its job but she would ask if after the dog got off work it could come and play and get some 'granny time'

@ Happy Indiana code 16-32-3-1.5 lists service dogs as
Sec. 1.5. As used in this chapter, "service animal" refers to an animal trained as:
(1) a hearing animal;
(2) a guide animal;
(3) an assistance animal;
(4) a seizure alert animal;
(5) a mobility animal;
(6) a psychiatric service animal; or
(7) an autism service animal.
Tank is being trained as a Psychiatric SD and once he is old enough and has his hips and elbows cleared he will be trained as a mobility SD as well
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 10:12pm PST 
Tank, I believe what Happy is trying to say, is that Indiana has no laws that cover SDITs. Tank is a SDIT, and therefore even if you wanted, you could not invoke the law. Until he is a SD, under Indiana law he is just another dog in terms of rights.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:13am PST 
Actually my information was from last year. As of the first of this one trainers do have access rights, That said Tank no I just downloaded and read through the whole section on service dogs again and don't see anywhere that you can get that person in trouble for bothering a service dog. However if it keeps up report it as harassment.

In addition I would make a habit of avoiding him. If you see him coming walk the other direction, Don't tell him when you're going out. And if he asks be blunt and tell him why.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2