GO!

Do I really deserve a SD?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:29am PST 
I understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish. While a service dog has given me freedom to be able to do what I can do in my life, I would have to say I still have to rely on therapy and some medication. I can say though, that I feel the amount of medication I take is less because of her.
Your medical team has agreed that a service dog is important for your wellness. This should be a factor in your decision.
After a while family or friends will get the point or just let it go.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:37am PST 
Yeah I relate some of this too. When I first was confronted with getting a SD by my Doc's etc I had just lost the sec. pet dog of my own family that I had raised. So it was not lack of love for animals on my part but of still morning for that, that I had lost. I had so many illnesses that I just got sick of the meds. to counter them. So my doc's told me that a SD might help me, a councelor began this quest and the general doc(med) backed her up. Anyway I broke down and looked and got the dog for SD perpposses. A long list of disabling situations VS meds and SD. I just had to wonder the natual unconditional love of the soft fuzzy four legged kind vs Meds. was my struggle for months till I knew that the thing that had always helped me was the warmth of a body next to mine had always been my calm in the storm. I was questioning it the most cause of the fact that I had lost two pets. I had ed. myself on SDs for a while to know the diff. between SDs and pets. But my Pets were family and SD are still life forms and animals capable of the same unconditional love but serving a perposs. I debated all the time I searched and was pushed in to getting a SD for myself by my Med. Doc's. I decided that it was going to be a better situation for me then the meds. I finally found a dog and made the steps to make the dog a SD.
The fact is the med. fact were proven and I had more then enough disabling needs to award me the use of the SD.
[notify]
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:35am PST 
Any news, Kodiak?
Thinking of you, sonja and the crewdog

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 12:03pm PST 
While a service dog has given me freedom to be able to do what I can do in my life, I would have to say I still have to rely on therapy and some medication

That's because a SD is not a cure; it's a tool. A tool that cannot be used to it's maximum effectiveness if the person hasn't learned other tools (be it coping skills, medications, physical hardware, etc) along the way.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2